Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where is starter motor on V6 VT

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
HI, Could someone please let me know the location of the starter motor in a V6 VT? Does anyone have a photo or have really good instructions on where it is?
When I start the car there is a bit of delay then the car struggles to turn over. Seems to start better when its warm.
I have replaced the HT leads, and both fuel filters which had the car starting nicely and then the starting problem kind of came back.
I have managed to find out from this forum that it could be a loose wire on the starter motor or a faulty solenoid.
Thank you
Mark

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It is on the passenger side to the rear of the motor (where it joins the transmission). You will need to get under the car to access it.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hmmm.

You should get a good manual for your car.

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thank you, I will have a look.
I have a Haynes manual but the strange thing is that It shows a picture of a starter motor and gives instructions on uninstalling it etc, but does not show where it is located on the car.
Thank you
Mark

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I read a website that lists all the faults with a VT and they say that one problem with hard starting could be a faulty battery harness.
Does anyone know what the battery harness is?
Also they suggest that a solenoid on the starter motor might have loose connections which are crimped anc can't be tightened, so replacing the solenoid is likely for me.
Has anyone replaced a solenoid, is it hard to do etc.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If it is the solenoid, you still need access to your starter.
Not too tricky, if you're not too confident, find a good auto electrician and ask if you can lean over his shoulder while he does it.
The battery harness will just be referring to the wiring connecting to the battery and going to it's primary connections (Starter, alternator)

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Is there a way to test if the solenoid is faulty? Do I need to take the starter motor out to get to the solenoid? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
If the starter struggles to turn the motor, it more than likely wouldn't be the solenoid causing the slow turning! The solenoid only pulls in the pinion into mesh with the ring gear, then makes the electrical connection to the starter circuit.
How's your battery? Swap with a known good one. Check the battery terminals for oxidisation (and the earth cable, both ends) and also the terminal on the starter for corrosion. Take the starter out as a last resort. With the low cost of new starters, if it turns out to be faulty, perhaps best to fit a new one.
Paul

weazzellboi

weazzellboi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
hi guys, yes i have had the same problem, even a new battery, which was drained after a couple of days with no use, and there is a buzzing noise some where near the battery terminals..., so i have read your posts and im in the process of cleaning all the terminals and checking the earth straps... any suggestions? would be great! cheers in advance
Weazzellboi

tanz445

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
hi guys, yes i have had the same problem, even a new battery, which was drained after a couple of days with no use, and there is a buzzing noise some where near the battery terminals..., so i have read your posts and im in the process of cleaning all the terminals and checking the earth straps... any suggestions? would be great! cheers in advance
Weazzellboi

Hi, new member but always come to this forum when I need help fixing my car :)

I am having the same problems as this above, would it be anything besides the starter motor? I have been told it could be the alternator but the battery is only going flat when the car sits, not when I am driving. Also the buzzing noise seems to be coming from where the leads connect. TIA :)