Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where the f&%! is the auto-headlight (twilight sentinel) sensor

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Im just trying to work out, ur HL is in Auto mod! then y is it on during the day & off at dusk. It should come on as soon as it starts to get dark, not light!!

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Im just trying to work out, ur HL is in Auto mod! then y is it on during the day & off at dusk. It should come on as soon as it starts to get dark, not light!!

That is exactly why he has posted this thread... to try and find a fix. It is malfunctioning.

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
and if its been sprayed with some oil based thing thats left residue it wont be measuring the brightness of the light very well, will it?

Dunno. Might give it a wipe over this weekend, but I've cleaned it with some tissues, still seems to keep the lights on in the daytime.

Definitely.

Ummm, why can't you just switch over to manual mode? :confused:

That defies the purpose of having the sensor. It's sort of like saying, why use a fork to eat when you can use your foot?
P.S. Just trying to be funny, mean no disrespect.

Last edited:

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Could the sensor under the bit of plastic? Maybe the bit of plastic is tined and only lets a curtain amount of light through

I've always thought about this when i look at it...

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
That defies the purpose of having the sensor. It's sort of like saying, why use a fork to eat when you can use your foot?
P.S. Just trying to be funny, mean no disrespect.

LOL, I spose what I meant was why can't you switch to manual mode just while the sensor is playing up, rather than driving to work at 8am with your headlights on?

I actually preferred the auto headlights in my old VY SS better than the VE. The VE automatically defaults to auto mode every time you switch the car off, which really pisses me off, :bang: but that's another story...

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I actually preferred the auto headlights in my old VY SS better than the VE. The VE automatically defaults to auto mode every time you switch the car off, which really pisses me off, :bang: but that's another story...

Are you saying there is no knob switch to select manual on the VE's? I love the look of the VE SV6, was thinking of upgrading to that in a year or two, but I keep hearing they're all plastic and things like this too.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you saying there is no knob switch to select manual on the VE's? I love the look of the VE SV6, was thinking of upgrading to that in a year or two, but I keep hearing they're all plastic and things like this too.

The knob is there in the VE's. The problem is that the computer keeps defaulting back to auto mode every time you switch the car off and then on again, i.e. I need to physically turn the auto headlights back to manual every time I start the car, which is a real pain in the ass. :bang:

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The knob is there in the VE's. The problem is that the computer keeps defaulting back to auto mode every time you switch the car off and then on again, i.e. I need to physically turn the auto headlights back to manual every time I start the car, which is a real pain in the ass. :bang:

Mate, that sounds like a design fault! Have you asked the thieves (Holden dealer) about it?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
no that is the design of the switch, its designed for driver safety ie defaults back to auto headlights which you can manually over ride if required.

not my favouririte thing because i like to be in control of then the lights turn on or off but thats how theyve gone now.

i thought that the sensor sits under the plastic too til i had to replace one on a Range Rover and found its a similar sensor, only this is round not flat. The black is the sensor

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
not my favouririte thing because i like to be in control of then the lights turn on or off...

Exactly. Plus I hate starting the car with the headlights on, plus the sensor is far too sensitive, so they come on when not required.

What's wrong with just manually flicking a switch when it's dark? Not that hard really...

I know the setting can be changed with a Tech2, though Holden said they had no knowledge of it (I reckon they just couldn't be bothered). So I'm gonna get Phreddy to have a play with his Tech2 next time I see him.

Anyway - carry on...