Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to attach engine crane on the 5L V8??

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey guys,

Long story. had an accident in my VS, and I've bent my K-Frame... Going to have to replace it, I've pulled my suspension apart, and now my next part is securing the engine to a engine crane to support it while I take off the engine mounts and pull out the Frame.

Just would like some help from anyone who has suggestions on how to secure it!

Also where would be the best place to position the axle stands as I won't be able to have them on the K-Frame for obvious reasons!

Cheers Guys!

deanos70

Reaction score
there should be a point to put a hook through on top of the power steer bracket
and i think another one near the rear of the engine on the passengers side
thats for lifting the engine

sorry not sure on the k frame part

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Oh ok, cheers for that, I'll have a look tomorrow in the light!!

What's the best way to secure it? chain and hook? I've seen some people use straps, but can't see how that can be secure!

That's alright! I'm sure someone else can help!

Cheers mate!

deanos70

Reaction score
i have a portable engine crane
i put chains on the hook of that and the engine end of the chain i use D shackles
im not a fan of straps either

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Chains or straps it dont matter if you dont have the lifting hooks wrapping through manifold works.
Also using a couple of well positioned bolt holes (front and back of heads) with some bolts washers going through chains works well.

Remember decent straps hold up to 2500kgs i used them all the time at work to lift 1 tonne moulds i never fear them breaking unlike chain

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Cheers for your input guys! So if I attached one end of the chain to the hook of the crane and then attached D shackles to the other end of the chain and then attach that to the engine that would work?? Or where bout's would I get my hands on some straps? and how are they secured? Just a knot on the end??

Cheers guys!

P.s. I hope this is also helping out anyone else with the same issues!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you need really to strap it to 2 point on engine one either side (in corners front and back for best results) to get an even and balanced lift as for straps if you dont have theyre probably too expensive to buy old seatt belts work well or just use some chain and put bolts through it