Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to place Amplifier in VX WAGON

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Just purchased myself a relatively cheap and simple 4 Ch Amp and am wondering the best place to locate it in a Station Wagon? Any ideas?

As I use the car for work, all of the Cargo area, and the space in the back seat foot wells are taken up. I was thinking of under the passengers seat, (not real keen on that) or along the side of the centre console on the drivers side.. Not the best spot either...? Hmmm?

It's a relativey small sized Amp. 26cm x 6cm x 20cm (10-3/8" x 2-3/8" x 7-7/8")Supposed to be one of the best 5 Amps under $AUD200. I paid $187 delivered.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-GM-D8604-Digital-1200-Watt-4-Bridgeable-Channel-Car-Amplifier-Gmd8604/271225766409?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
There is a compartment for tools on the driver's side, rear cargo.

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Thanks VT&VX. Not knowing enough, I was concerned there may not be enough air flow around the amp.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
If it fits, you would vent the compartment. The back of that compartment is just cloth material. If you removed that and mounted your amp on the compartment door, then the amp would be in that cavity and it would have air around it. Let's wait for some other opinions on whether it is a good idea.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Hey Spud.. missed your post (s).
I went with the kit below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hc-Wiring-Kit-8-Ga-Amp-Amplifier-Installation-Kit-2-Or-4-Channel-Power-Cable/281157354469?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In retrospect perhaps I could have gone with the same as yours, but am really hoping to keep the wiring lengths down below 4.5m, that stated, 8 Gua. should suffice. Plus just noticed that I will need to add a bigger fuse. It's either going to go under the passenger seat, or next to my left knee, on the centre console. Under the seat I think. Hopefully it turns up tomorrow and then I can get a better idea of the size.. Also, I'm not likely to ever be running a Sub, or playing at really high volume..

Speakers? Speakers? Speakers?? What to do? Any ideas? From memory, haven't checked, I did install some Kenwood Speakers in the front some years back, they seem to be ok, but the stock rears are stuffed. Most probably, in the interim, I'll move the Kenwoods to the rear and put my best speakers in the front. But what to buy?? Really hunting for ideas on suitable speakers, 6.5" coax.

Last edited: