Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where to run the cold air intake???

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
I want to fit a CAI, preferably this weekend, but short of fabricating something myself, are there any really good bolt on options available. Yes i've searched forums, and ebay, and i've rang people. So far, all i've come up with is a place in sydney called "Thongy's" where i can purchase what is said to be- a genuine Holden CAI for VN-VS, It appears to be 2 peice over the radiator system. What are the pros and cons to over the radiator as compared to under/ around the bumper area? What sort of piping is most commonly used if you were to fabricate your own system to run under the bumper. Also one last thing, i've seen on a few occasion, people use a material which looks similar to that used to wrap turbo's to help keep them cool, wrapping this stuff around their induction piping- are there any real world benifits to this , or is this more suited to extreme cases .

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
the turbo heat wrap is in extreme heat cases, and not necessary for just a na cai.

theres a how-to in the how-to section on a 'two hole mod' for installing a second pipe under the bumper.

Go the standard CAI, they're perfect, and only requires cutting a little out of the air box.

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
what do you mean by the standard CAI's, are these the genuine items that are advertised on EBAY?

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Yep thats what he means, with the mouth that opens up over the radiator. Unless your prepared to get the sheet metal and mig welder out, they are far and away one of the better and cheaper/easier options.

Next question?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Daniel.B you buy the factory one at your local Holden spare parts of course :) and yes the guys on ebay buy them from Holden and resell them. it is not as good as a pipe to the bumper but it's OK. You want the VS V6 supercharged version

Last edited:

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
I'm happy to run a pipe down into the front bar, but i'm not sure on what sort of hose/piping to buy? it would obviously have to be quite flexible, but i dont know if i have to buy this from some type of auto outlet, or whether i can just pick up something from bunnings and go at it with a hacksaw ect-

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Airstrike used to work at bunnings and I think they sell alot of "intake pipe" there :p all you need is some flexible plastic or rubber pipes that wont colapse under strong suction in about 100mm diameter

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
yes i just can't find out where everyone get's these sections of pipe from-

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
when i find out, i'll go out and buy some, have a go and making my own CAI, post some pics, and should be all good for a laugh-

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I got re enforced rubber duct (steel inside) from a engineering shop but it's expensive. Plastic flexy pipe will do the job