Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where To Start?

903RT

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV
Having been recently bitten by the modding bug, I am after some advice about where to start when it comes to performing mods. I have an 09 SSV and want to make a few changes but am not exactly sure about where I should start. I have looked at some various companies that offer package deals where they can do simple things like adding an OTR CAI and tune while others include things like full exhausts as well.

Basically I want to get better performance and sound out of the car without going too far over the top as the Mrs drives the car with a couple of youngsters and I don't want her feeling overwhelmed.

Would I be better off adding parts slowly or should I save up and then go bang and get the whole lot done in one hit? Personally I'm thinking of adding the CAI(Ramjet) first just to get the initial boost in performance and ease the wife into the changes. Have heard that with the Ramjet set up you don't have to get a tune done straight away.

Having also looked at exhausts I am also stuck on which brand I should be focusing on and what sort of size I should go for. I don't want anything too loud as I leave for work at 5.30 in the morning and having a system that wakes up the neighbors isn't ideal. Idally something bi-modal would be great but the only one I've seen in the one with the remote control.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said I am new to this and don't want to waste time and money making rookie mistakes.

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
for the exhaust i would probably suggest the xforce rear muffs just coz you have the option of quiet and loud so that ur mrs can drive in peice and quiet, but the downfall those mufflers are in fact restrictive but, that is the price you have to pay for having the volume option :(
Having been recently bitten by the modding bug, I am after some advice about where to start when it comes to performing mods. I have an 09 SSV and want to make a few changes but am not exactly sure about where I should start. I have looked at some various companies that offer package deals where they can do simple things like adding an OTR CAI and tune while others include things like full exhausts as well.

Basically I want to get better performance and sound out of the car without going too far over the top as the Mrs drives the car with a couple of youngsters and I don't want her feeling overwhelmed.

Would I be better off adding parts slowly or should I save up and then go bang and get the whole lot done in one hit? Personally I'm thinking of adding the CAI(Ramjet) first just to get the initial boost in performance and ease the wife into the changes. Have heard that with the Ramjet set up you don't have to get a tune done straight away.

Having also looked at exhausts I am also stuck on which brand I should be focusing on and what sort of size I should go for. I don't want anything too loud as I leave for work at 5.30 in the morning and having a system that wakes up the neighbors isn't ideal. Idally something bi-modal would be great but the only one I've seen in the one with the remote control.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said I am new to this and don't want to waste time and money making rookie mistakes.

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
You honestly won't notice much of a difference with just an exhaust or just a Otr cai.. But collectively with a tune you will.
IMOP get it all done in one go, it's not a huge hit of power any way and will be fine for the mrs n kids, as for exhausts.. There is massive amounts of info on these, you'll find it's all opinions but overall if you are not going cam or further a 2.5" is more then enough, 3" will be a bit loud for what you are expecting I think with no real gain in performance (for mods u are looking at)..

Brad

903RT

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV
Cheers for the replies. Just wondering if anyone can give feedback on JHP, HP-F and Walkinshaw as to which one of these companies is the best to go with. OR if anyone knows of a place on the western side of Melbourne that can do the work as these other places are all on the south eastern side of town.