Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where's the swaybar on VY/Z Crewman Diff?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't mind being wrong about the non fitment of the bar. I'll just blame age. But looking at the OP's pic, there doesn't seem to be any indication that a bar was fitted. Usually, brackets and mounts show signs of abrasion from the rubber mountings compressing and rubbing against the paint but that bracket is unmarked. Perhaps a new housing for some reason and the bar was left off? Are there any indications of wear at the link mounting points to support this theory?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
looking at the OP's pic, there doesn't seem to be any indication that a bar was fitted. Usually, brackets and mounts show signs of abrasion from the rubber mountings compressing and rubbing against the paint but that bracket is unmarked.

I agree, that diff shows no signs of a swaybar ever being attached to it

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
What I'm finding a mystery is the rear cover on the diff....Never seen an IRS style cover on a solid axle before
If you compare it to the pic of my VZ 1 Tonner diff you can see that:
1. OP's rear diff cover appears to be from an IRS diff
2. Those metal blocks bolted to the rear cover on that bracket are a bit of a mystery....On my 1 tonner those large metal blocks are actually attached to the spring
3. OP's Crewman also doesn't have a Load Sensing Proportioning Valve fitted either

OP's Crewman diff
diff hat.jpg

My VZ 1 Tonner diff
LU7xGy4.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's starting to look pretty obvious that the rear axle assembly isn't the one the car left the factory with.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
What I'm finding a mystery is the rear cover on the diff....Never seen an IRS style cover on a solid axle before
If you compare it to the pic of my VZ 1 Tonner diff you can see that:
1. OP's rear diff cover appears to be from an IRS diff
2. Those metal blocks bolted to the rear cover on that bracket are a bit of a mystery....On my 1 tonner those large metal blocks are actually attached to the spring
3. OP's Crewman also doesn't have a Load Sensing Proportioning Valve fitted either

OP's Crewman diff
View attachment 202906

My VZ 1 Tonner diff
LU7xGy4.jpg

With that IRS diff cover and those weights I doubt the standard sway bar would even fit. I also agree that it doesn't look like that axle ever had a sway bar bolted to it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Correct.
I am the 3rd owner and I knew the second owner well.

I will get some more pics and part numbers.

The Crewman was built on the 3rd May 2007. In the morning for most of it from what I have found from parts stickers etc.

It’s a V6.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
With that IRS diff cover and those weights I doubt the standard sway bar would even fit

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing
Those weights have got me intrigued though....I can't think of any reason why they would be mounted off the rear cover like they are.
I honestly have no idea why they are on the springs of my 1 Tonner....I've never bothered with looking into why they are there either

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Holden used weights like that on the VN V6 T5 clutch fork and off the end of the transmission output shaft housing to reduce vibrations. Not sure if they are there for a similar reason on these?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Matt, any chance you can get a pic of where the sway at link attaches to the body?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Matt, any chance you can get a pic of where the sway at link attaches to the body?

In the first picture attached in post 5, you can see the mounting point for the sway bar link just rearwards of the bump stop

Here you go....Swaybar link and it's mounting point
mJTw7IE.jpg

Last edited: