Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which 1 to get!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The Pioneer head-unit will provide a little more sound quality and tuneability (make it sound the way you like). Most aftermarket units say "50w x 4" but thats maximum, they produce around 20w x 4 "RMS" which is a more realistic rating. You're on the right track by considering to purchase an external amplifier, the GM-6300F is a good quality 4 channel amp which produces 60wrms x 4.

adzy's vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Executive Wagon
ok thanks holdenboy,
the other thing i gotta pick some1s brains is would the GM-6300F suit the speakers ive installed (as stated above),or doesnt it matter?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
That amp produces 60wrms x 4. Thats about ideal for those speakers, as it has a high pass filter (this filters out the low bass which your speakers wont like too much) which is ideal for your setup. Set these to around 40-60 hz and they'll play louder as opposed to having them play the full frequency range.
Will you be installing the amplifier yourself or getting a shop / pro to do it?

adzy's vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Executive Wagon
ah allright sweet,thanks for that!
I was thinkin of having a crack at it myself because it cant be that complicated to do,just technical lol but i can get some help from others who have done it before tho!
is there a problem with doing it yourself???

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No not really, as ive said before just take your time remove and re-installing the interior panels etc, also running the wiring.

Run the power cable down one side of the car (inside) and run the RCAs down the opposite. Earth the amp to a good section of metal and sand back the area to bare metal before attaching the earth terminal.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
listen to what holdenboy said run power and RCA down different sides dont get lazy :) lol if u do them down the same side you may start to hear engine noises through your speakers. (although ive been told you can have a 50mm clearance between the 2 so yeah but wires move so i wouldnt do it that way)

adzy's vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Executive Wagon
lol that could be quiet interesting having the engine noises through ya speakers tho!
ok well i wont be getting lazy with the wires, because im some1 who rathers taking there time with something and getting it right the first time instead of stuffin around down the track! lol

well i also purchased the gear today from JB HI FI,i ended up getting the pioneer DEH-P7050BT head unit, because of getting bluetooth for an extra $20, and the pioneer GM-6300F amp,just waiting for the head unit to come in now! :(

also im curious to where to put the amp???
i was thinking under the passenger seat,what do you all reckon???
(its a vy wagon btw)

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
you can put them anywhere man. under the seat or I had a mate in his vs wagon who bolted it in the very back just to the side.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
lol that could be quiet interesting having the engine noises through ya speakers tho!
ok well i wont be getting lazy with the wires, because im some1 who rathers taking there time with something and getting it right the first time instead of stuffin around down the track! lol

well i also purchased the gear today from JB HI FI,i ended up getting the pioneer DEH-P7050BT head unit, because of getting bluetooth for an extra $20, and the pioneer GM-6300F amp,just waiting for the head unit to come in now! :(

also im curious to where to put the amp???
i was thinking under the passenger seat,what do you all reckon???
(its a vy wagon btw)

Depending on, if the amp fits underneath the front seat. Or i have done a few installs where the amp goes on the right side of the back where the spare tyre goes if you have LPG, which in IMO looks good.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Under the front seat ius a good option, although there may not be enough room (height wise). Also mounting amps under the seat isnt the most ideal spot, as it dosent provide great air circulation.

On a positive note, you'll only need 3m RCA cables and about 4 metres of power cable. You have two choices as far as wiring the speakers to the amp;

1) You can join speaker cables to the speaker wires at the head-unit when your installing the Pioneer unit, then just run the cables to the amp (make sure you mark each cable saying what speaker it is).

2) You can "tap" into the speaker wires before they go into each door (in the kick panels for the fronts and in the b pillar below where the seat belt is). Have a look at the wiring colours thread on here and it will tell you which colour the wires are...a BIG help haha. You'll just have to solder and tape up each connection and then mark each cable and run them to wherever you decide to mount the amp.