Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which cam?

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
hello, been debating between a cam and roller rockers alot lately (mainly due to the amount of people telling me a cams better rev range)...looking at the power differences for expense (bang for buck) and it seems the only things the RR has is the ease of installation..i have all the beehive springs, performance seals etc, wondering,should i get a cam first and install it when i get my heads back from being machined? reading through them, the stage 1 isnt quite enough, my car gets driven hard every day and id like to feel all round power range differences..the stage 2 however, is designed for stock heads? and stage 3 is abit over the top for a p plater..if i do get the cam, will it be worth getting the RR as well at a later date? i noticed COMP have the cam designed for RR but im not on a high enough wage to get them both at once. is it worth lashing out and getting them both? i also noticed it only states 1:9 and 1:9:8...whereas i want 1:9:1, still doabe? and also, if i get the cam by itself and at a later date get a memcal, could yous tune it to suit the mods on my car (i have a list of everything and its all been from MACE anyway, besides coilpack)...just abit lost on which path to take

MACE

Reaction score
Hey sleepinvt,

In regards to your questions/statements

“hello, been debating between a cam and roller rockers alot lately (mainly due to the amount of people telling me a cams better rev range)...looking at the power differences for expense (bang for buck) and it seems the only things the RR has is the ease of installation..”
This is correct. The reason why the RR generally respresent better value for money then the cams is the cost that people normally have to pay for installation. If you’re planning on doing the work yourself and have a fair idea in what you’re doing with a cam install, then going down the cam path would certainly be something to consider

“i have all the beehive springs, performance seals etc, wondering,should i get a cam first and install it when i get my heads back from being machined? reading through them, the stage 1 isnt quite enough, my car gets driven hard every day and id like to feel all round power range differences..the stage 2 however, is designed for stock heads?”
If you really give your car a hard time then I would go the S2 item

“and stage 3 is abit over the top for a p plater..if i do get the cam, will it be worth getting the RR as well at a later date?”
People could tell if you had an S3 cam for sure LOL. You could go a set of higher ratio rockers depending on how the heads are setup, however I wouldn’t worry about at the moment

“i noticed COMP have the cam designed for RR but im not on a high enough wage to get them both at once. is it worth lashing out and getting them both? i also noticed it only states 1:9 and 1:9:8...whereas i want 1:9:1, still doabe?”
They car run higher ratio rockers then from factory, however not that high. More like 1.7-1.8:1 ratio

“and also, if i get the cam by itself and at a later date get a memcal, could yous tune it to suit the mods on my car (i have a list of everything and its all been from MACE anyway, besides coilpack)...just abit lost on which path to take”
We can supply you with a base tune to suit your mods, however to get the most out of your setup you would require a custom tune done
Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve