Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which clutch should I get?

G-Wizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0L V8
Hi All,

I am in need of a clutch replacement for my Series 1 VE SS L98.
I have been reading up here and everywhere on different types of clutches and I need your help and advice in picking one.
I daily drive the car to work in bumper to bumper traffic so I don't want anything that will give me a hard/tough peddle. Car has Pacemaker headers, full 3" exhaust - down the track might get an OTR and a tune - No induction or cams.

Your assistance is appreciated - I have narrowed down to 3 kits
I called Exedy and old mate on the phone recommended the Exedy GMK-7714SMFHD. He reckons this is the upgrade from the OEM and will offer the most stock feeling peddle. While I was on the Exedy website I also found the GMK-7714SMFSO which is apparently a very similar? Guy said it has a different plate material but might be similar - didn't sound too convincing.
The final option is the Xtreme KGM30602-1A which Xtreme were able to confidently tell me this would offer me a very nice stock feeling pedal.

If you have any experience with these I would love any insight.
Thanks in advance,
G-Wiz.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
i went with NPC clutch years ago with others having issues with extremes and textraila with feel and drivability.

I vote the npc seems bulitproof and great to drive, never had a exedy so no idea on them

G-Wizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0L V8
i went with NPC clutch years ago with others having issues with extremes and textraila with feel and drivability.

I vote the npc seems bulitproof and great to drive, never had a exedy so no idea on them
What kind of issues did you have with the Xtreme's?

Do you recall which clutch kit you went for, how much, type, pedal feel, etc etc?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Npc copper mix very nice to drive pedal a bit heavier than stock.

Friends had problems with various makes no coping with LS1 tuned power. Tex clutches are strong but not smooth

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
I had a textralia clutch in my clubby. It was so heavy the car became very hard to drive in stop start traffic so I took it out & put in an npc. That was very smooth & drivable on the street but it didn't like the drag strip at all

G-Wizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0L V8
I had a textralia clutch in my clubby. It was so heavy the car became very hard to drive in stop start traffic so I took it out & put in an npc. That was very smooth & drivable on the street but it didn't like the drag strip at all
No, definitely don't want a hard clutch. All my driving is done is peek hour traffic. Will probably keep away from Tex.

Do you have any feedback on the above listed kits from my OP?
Cheers.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Not tried an exedy myself, I should add however the npc clutch I had was a sprung clutch & the tex was a solid clutch. That's makes a difference in the drivability as does the type of friction material used.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not tried an exedy myself, I should add however the npc clutch I had was a sprung clutch & the tex was a solid clutch. That's makes a difference in the drivability as does the type of friction material used.
Yea the solid centre clutches are more for race/high horsepower applications, not for a mildly modded daily driver

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Mine was supercharged with 1032nm of torque at the rear wheels. I put in what they suggested which turned out to be ****. Just shows don't listen to the salesman but do your own research & make an informed decision.