Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which diff to get

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
hi all, i'm sure i'm in need of a new diff, i have a 1994 5litre vr calais auto with irs, now i heard i can use the diff out of any v8 irs up to the vz's, is this true can anyone shed some light on this or give some info on it so i know wat i can get, cheers

Mr spinalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5spd executive
im not 100% mate but i cant see how that would work, im pretty sure vy vz ect are different, y not just get a solid axle ass end, 308 ratio etc i pulled the irs outta my vr i dont go much on em but everyone to their own lol

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
i would prefer to just leave the irs in, anyone have the answer to my question

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
im not 100% mate but i cant see how that would work, im pretty sure vy vz ect are different, y not just get a solid axle ass end, 308 ratio etc i pulled the irs outta my vr i dont go much on em but everyone to their own lol

What do you mean you "pulled the irs outta your vr"? Did you convert your IRS rear to live axle?

As for OP, I think it's VP - VT1. Don't really know though.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
you cant just pull IRS out and bolt in live axle.. completely different floor pans.

You can use VP to VT series 1 IRS diffs, VT II onwards use a different yoke for the tail shaft.

Ive got a couple of IRS diffs sitting here if your in vic, have a single spinner and a LSD.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
your understanding is correct :) im sure it is possible to convert to IRS if your willing to go to all the effort and engineering involved to cut the chassis up and weld in the right stuff, but why would you....

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i had a yarn with a well respected diff guy a few years ago about upgrading the diff in my irs vr ss, he reckoned with a harrop diff cover on the back of the vtII - vz diff centre (80 series?) they will fit under earlier model cars. he didnt say anything about driveshaft flanges/tailshaft yokes being different but he could have forgot to mention it.

best bet is to ring a diff joint that does a bit of performance work, they should set ya straight

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
VT II to VZ diff showing yoke...

!Bfgb6o!BWk~$(KGrHqEH-D0ErfBGNw7-BLBiOjs(m!~~_12.JPG

VP-VT series I diff...

4f16_12.JPG