Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Head Unit?

Crawf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ SV6
Hey, I'm looking at buying a head unit for my VZ SV6. I've found a double din Pioneer model that i like, there is an Australian version and an American version of it. The American version is much cheaper, I can get it for around $325, after quickly looking i think the only main difference is that it doesn't have bluetooth. The Australian version i can get for around $570, with the only extra feature Bluetooth?

Heres the links.
American, AVH-P1400DVD - <b>NEW!</b> - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 5.8" Widescreen Touch Display and USB Direct Control for iPod®/iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA
Australian, AVH-2450BT 5.8" in-car DVD player with Bluetooth, iPod / iPhone Control, Front USB and Aux-in (2012) - Pioneer DVD Player & Screens

Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Tony Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 V2 A4
I reckon get the Australian version.

The American version wont tune in to radio stations.

There may also be Region issues when playing back a DVD (not 100% sure on this). I have an Alpine unit and I know it's an issue with them.

Crawf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ SV6
mmm the only thing is the price :-/ ah really, no stations at all?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I did a quick search on here, and a guy in the US is using an Australian heady it with no issues with the radio, but it might just be luck whether it works or not.

Also, apparently if you buy a (for example) US Pioneer, Pioneer Aus won't repair it under warranty.

Crawf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ SV6
cheers thanks for that!! not often when id even need warranty would I? Don't hear about many problems with head units?

Crawf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ SV6
yeah. Just did a little research, DVD's definitely wouldn't work on it here because of the region code but the radio should certainly work.

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Radio would work but wont pick up all stations cause it searches differently, ive asked about this before, the dvds wont work unless you change the region code on your dvds

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
American unit
- Will be fixed to region 1, so will only play our DVDs if you copy them and remove the region coding.
- FM radio will work fine, US AM radio uses 10kHz steps rather than 9kHz steps which AU AM radio uses
- Cheaper
- No Bluetooth
- No warranty

Australian unit
- Should be open region (all their previous ones have been)
- Radio works perfect
- More expensive
- Bluetooth
- Warranty and some of the best aftermarket service

It's up to you but if you buy the US one I'd be paying a good professional to install it so it is done properly... You don't want to wire it up and find you did something wrong which killed the unit and have no warranty.

Personally, I'd spend the little bit more and have the Aussie version so I had a store I could go back to and a Pioneer helpline if I had any problems.

Crawf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ SV6
Thanks for that info StoneX, is helpful and has me thinking a bit more.