Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which LSx or Lxx motor?

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
apparently it cant be forced induction as its going to be registered in QLD (Cant be over 411ci or forced induction??).

Still not sure where the OP got his information from, as i didnt think there was a "size" or "induction" law? Could be wrong.... might be something to do with retrofitting to a VL (Although it does seem strange as the VL did come out with a turbo as factory)

L98 is the best engine... although for the $10k budget the OP was working with (As posted on LS1) it might be a little expensive. $6k for the create motor, $3k for the gearbox and then whatever ECU costs doesnt leave much for Cam + work.

Perhaps a second hand LS2 (or purchase a wrecked car and do a transplant?)

You should be able to get a second hand LS1 and gearbox for $4-5k. With a very large cam, exhaust, MAFless tune, and perhaps some head work you might get 300rwkw. To get to 380rwkw your going to need a stroker kit (which is out of budget) or go forced induction.

You might get lucky on the LS1 forum and pickup a 383 stroked LS1. Still, 380rwkw on a N/A engine is going to be pretty tricky (well more the point, an engine with that level of power and a gearbox/wiring to suit is going to blow a $10k budget)

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
LSX block with good heads and FAST manifold will get you over 500RWHP my good mate hs a LSX stroked to 468ci and it makes anywhere between 566-600 rwhp

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It can be boosted, but if boosted the engine cant be bigger than 4L, whcih would rule out any holden V8.

This is off the queensland transport webiiste.

Engine Conversion Guidelines

All vehicles originally weighing less than 800 kg.

Naturally Aspirated - Original weight (kg) x 3.0 = max. capacity in cc’s

Forced Induction - Original weight (kg) x 2.5 = max. capacity in cc’s

All vehicles originally weighing between 800 kg and 1100 kg.

Naturally Aspirated - Original weight (kg) x 4.0 = max. capacity in cc’s

Forced Induction - Original weight (kg) x 2.75 = max. capacity in cc’s

All vehicles originally weighing more than 1100 kg.

Naturally Aspirated - Original weight (kg) x 5.0 = max. capacity in cc’s

Forced Induction - Original weight (kg) x 3.0 = max. capacity in cc’s

The weight of the vehicle referred to in the table is the original (unmodified) tare weight of the model vehicle fitted with the largest engine available for the model but without optional accessories (air conditioning, tow bars etc). The weight of the vehicle whether it is a sedan, station wagon, utility, etc, should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model (not station wagon version). The engine capacity to be used for rotary engines is twice the swept volume of all rotors (eg a 13B rotary engine has a swept volume of 1308 cc giving a “capacity” of 2616 cc).

A factory VL Calais sedan weighs 1350kg. So that times 5(to keep it n/a) = 6750cc max engine size. 6750cc = 411ci, or 6.5L.

Same weight of 1350kg times 3(equation for boosted engines) = 4050cc max engine size.4050cc = 247ci, 4.0L.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah i considered that, but if i went down the boosted 6 route, it would probably be easier to just work the RB30 already in there.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Well i think my goal could be achieved using even a 6.2L LS3, so why go even bigger? It would be over kill and illegal so pointless really.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Well i think my goal could be achieved using even a 6.2L LS3, so why go even bigger? It would be over kill and illegal so pointless really.

grab an LS2 and stroke to 511 for easy HP.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Do you mean 411? Are there even stroker kits to that exact ci?

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
my ls3 stroker motor runs high 121 mph in my vu ss with me in it, its race weight is 3924lb (1780kg). morroso hp calcultor puts my ute at 554rwhp to run that mph. AT 1300kg (2866lb) you will need 555rwhp to run a 9.993 @ 135mph.