Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which of these two cams?

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
Cam experts! I've narrowed my cam preference downto these two:

VCM 532
215/223 @ 112 and .583"/.583"

and
Texas Speed Billet
225/236 @114 and .629"/615"

Both are suited to a standard stall and diff gears, which is what I'm after.

My question is, what would be the expected differences between these two? Which one would tend to be lumpier and would they make power in a similar range? I'm not chasing big numbers. Im after useable low to midrange punch

For an L77 with OTR, headers and a full 3" stainless system, which of these two would be your preference and why?

Thanks legends!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
The stock diff gears arent even suited to the tiny stock l77 dod cam,they are fitted purely for highway economy.
Id count on at least 3.45 diff gears to get the most from either of those cams off idle,maybe even 3.7 or 3.9.
Id say the cam with more duration and lift would sound lumpier.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
To determine the 'lumpiness' you need to compare overlap (the higher the lumpier). It is calculated by Intake duration + Exaust duration, divided by 4, - LSA, x 2
So the VCM cam has an overlap of -5
The texas an overlap of 2.5

For comparison, the stock LS3 cam has an overlap of -26.5

my personal opinion, I think that texas one is huge in comparison but you haven't really said your intended application. But low range the smaller one will be better.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
the first one, because i dont like the lift on the second one
keep lift < .600
High lift .600+ particularly with the sharp ramps of lower duration cams, the high lift doesn't make enough additional power to justify the valve train stress and potential failures that lower lift avoids. Around .585" lift is well proven to be reliable and the under .600 lift rule I think is a good thing to keep in mind reliability wise when selecting a road car camshaft.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As said above the stock gears were barely suited to the stock cam let alone anything else. I remember the 2.92's in my old 6L Caprice laboured at 110km/h in 6th the second there was a mild incline the gears were so terrible.

However as much as I like Texas Speed I'm gonna go with the VCM here, unless you've got a specific reason to justify that much lift try to steer clear of it in a mild mannered street car.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
As said above the stock gears were barely suited to the stock cam let alone anything else. I remember the 2.92's in my old 6L Caprice laboured at 110km/h in 6th the second there was a mild incline the gears were so terrible.

However as much as I like Texas Speed I'm gonna go with the VCM here, unless you've got a specific reason to justify that much lift try to steer clear of it in a mild mannered street car.
Dunno about the auto but I’m on standard gearing with a stock cam and a manual gearbox and 6th gear labours below 90kph. If you give up even a small amount of torque at the bottom end you need to shorten the gearing otherwise 6th gear would be useless at normal road speeds.

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
VCM 532 it is then. Cheers for the replies guys