Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which shocks

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Which coilover kit

What would be better for a road car that sometimes sees the track, but will be mainly used for everyday driving??

Tien Super street coilovers.

or

DMS 40mm coilovers.

I know the DMS are supposed to be a lot better quality than the Tien, but the price is changing so much for there product. All I need is around 15 days and I will be able to purchase the coilovers.

I was able to get the DMS for a special price of ($3245) for 14 days, when I inquired through DMS.

But after the 14 days the normal price of ($3947) would apply (even though they had to make the product as there was none in stock, which means they can do that same price in 15 days for me) , FUNNY THAT!!

Then I got a price of ($3195) to beat DMS's price but then because DMS's Quote had expired the price went back up to ($3508) but a special through that company will be starting on the 15 of this month where I can get ($400) of brake upgrades, if I purchase the coilovers. AGAIN FUNNY THAT!!

I guess this is a bit of a rant as I was $195 short of the ($3195) price I got quoted through the second company, and now that the special price from DMS is invalid, the other company will not do the discount price of ($3195) for me. :mad:

So back to the original question which would be better for a daily car I've got $3000 now in the bank set aside for some decent suspension. :yeah:

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
don't know which are better, but they obviously playing games with pricing so just tell them what youre going to pay and if they say nay you say bye bye and get something else.
Or get a mate to ask for a price, see if they play the same game.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Yeah I'm going to have to try that, as I think it's a bit pathetic all the chopping and changing of prices just to get a quick sale.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
the DMS units are far better than the tein units, but there a bit over kill for something that you will take to the track sometimes.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
But after the 14 days the normal price of ($3947) would apply (even though they had to make the product as there was none in stock, which means they can do that same price in 15 days for me) , FUNNY THAT!!
ALL DMS products are made on order, there is no off the shelf DMS, and a company is more than entitled to offer a quote on a product that valid for x amount of days. There's all sorts of reasons why companies will try and put sales in certain time frames. From bringing forward GST liabilities, to improving cash flow, it's not uncommon to offer a certain price for a certain time frame, and it's certainly not playing games. If a quote is valid for x amount of time, and you don't act within it, it's not the companies fault.

In light of it being either DMS, or some rubbish from Tein*, we'll honor the quote of $3195 including springs, freight and GST. We were acting off instructions from DMS with regards to your quote being valid for 14 days. List price is nearly on $4k, how much markup do you think there is? Your welcome to get a mate to ask, but that is playing games, and the answer will be $3508 including springs, freight and GST as per our original quote.

* I'm not paying out Tein as a whole. In fact 'Tein Group N' is phenomenal competition suspension, even for the $15k asking price, and so good it has to be bought through specialized dealers, of which Fulcrum isn't. Just their entry level stuff is pretty ordinary...

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
In light of it being either DMS, or some rubbish from Tein*, we'll honor the quote of $3195 including springs, freight and GST. We were acting off instructions from DMS with regards to your quote being valid for 14 days. List price is nearly on $4k, how much markup do you think there is?

I'm sorry but again you've lost me here??
Does that mean you will sell the kit for $3195??

How much mark up is on this item? Well I would say at least a 30% markup is put on top of this coilover kit for the end RRP of this product.

I also get that companies will do discounts for a number of reasons.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Does that mean you will sell the kit for $3195??
In light of the circumstances yes.

How much mark up is on this item? Well I would say at least a 30% markup is put on top of this coilover kit for the end RRP of this product.
Was kind of a rhetorical question, but no, it's about 20% across most products. Do the math on a coilover kit that RRP's for $3947 and you'll understand why both DMS's and our quote was only valid for a limited time. You lost me when DMS gave you a quote valid for 14 days, and you blamed them for not going ahead with it by the expiry date...

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I can pay for them on Friday, so I need your bank details to make payment.

Thanks

Last edited:

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
$3000 coilovers for a VT V6 daily driver that "sometimes" goes to the track? Whatever makes you happy...

Also you haven't mentioned what other supporting mods you've done to the car. There's no point putting $3000 coilovers in your car if you're running factory FE1 swaybars, bushes, crappy tyres or an open differential.

TBH you'd be better off with standalone shocks (Koni yellows?), Heavy Duty springs and spend the rest on fitting sway bars (engine has to be lifted to fit the front, diff has to be dropped to fit the rear) and a full urethane re-bushing. Also having a mate that can do an aggressive wheel alignment before you go to the track then realign it after to a more road friendly geometry after will be a big help, otherwise you'll chew out the shoulders of your tyres at the track.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I already have whiteline adjustable swaybars F/R, a strut brace, and have contacted a company regarding a b pillar brace, also looking into BMR's under chassis bracing.

When I receive the coilovers when they get fitted, I will be putting it in to get superpro bushes put in where necessary.

Also looking into a light weight battery to relocate to the boot, I also want to remove the whole air conditioning system, so some weight can be removed/balanced in the car.

The car has more than good enough tires on it at the moment, but it does retain the stock diff, which will get some treatment (LSD) in the next year after I recover from the coilovers!

I could have put the money towards a cam and some head-work but the suspension will be more fun railing corners.