Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Other] Which tools are best?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I use Toolex tools from Gasweld. Made by Sidchrome for Gasweld. Really really good quality tools, they have a lifetime over the counter exchange warranty, so never have to send tools away if they do break. I've had a Toolex 1/2" socket set for 18 months now and put it through hell - gearbox changes, clutch changes, tailshafts, differentials, left it outside in the rain and it hasn't even got a scratch on it. Only about $140 too. Can't recommend Toolex enough.

Chris1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina 3.8 v6 supercharged. VZ Calais V6.
We sell a brand called Teng Tools at work, never had a problem with any of mine. Fairly reasonably priced I recon.

Cheers
Chris

Chris1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina 3.8 v6 supercharged. VZ Calais V6.
^ I'll add, for the amount we sell, we get very few warranty claims, never on the ratcheting spanners either (they do have a lifetime warranty).

Cheers
Chris

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
I have and use a set of Sidchrome and a set of Teng Tools ratcheting spanners.
I think they would be pretty muc be on par with each other.
I think the Teng set may have a finer increment in ratchet, but it wouldn't be a big difference.
Teng was cheaper by a nice margin when I picked them up.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ive been using king-chrome ratchets every day at the workshop for around 6 years and they havnt failed me once. they get abused to **** too, used as hammers/chisels etc. for the price they are easily the best iver ever bought.

sidchrome used to be good but over the last few years, their new stuff is crap.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
you don't need anthing fancy.
most tools break from mis-use. I've had some pretty cheap tools for 10+ years and they're still going (not the 2 shop crap but mostly what you get from bunnings sidchrome, kingcrome and some unbranded ones)
The only times i've seen tools break or I've broken them years ago is doing things like using a ratchet at a breaker bar etc... split 12pt socket walls when i should've used 9pt sockets etc.

so i guess + 1 for kingchrome

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I dont like Sidchrome because their warranty process is a pain in the arse. So many things are discontinued and getting a replacement is a dickaround. This is comming from someone who sells them.

Kincrome is so easy to get a replacement, most places have it on the shelf and its a direct swap. If its not, its not hard to get.

Just dont be using non impact sockets on rattle guns and your golden.