Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Which transmission for turbo 304?

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
Hi Guys,

THIS DOES DRAG ON SO SORRY IN ADVANCE!

i got a vh sle and i am planning a injected 304, and going to build a single turbo kit for it, as no one really makes the kits yet, now pretty much the biggest decission is what Transmission to run with it,
i have a vl turbo diff thats getting fully rebuild with stronger axles and has 3.45's that will stay like that unless its not a good ratio for the trans selected.

The car will be built for powercruise type driving and the odd weekend cruise and fridays to work

So........ now to pick out of T350/400, T700, 46l0e or maybe even a T56, but i think the t56 is gonna be to much hassles myself.

my daily driver is a wh stato with big cam, heads, 3000 stall and the stock trans tuned up abit, it makes 290rwkw and has done so for the last 40,000kms (currently has 125,000kms) and thats the stock box, its slowly slipping but still plenty of life left,
so to me its a strong and reliable box, if it can retro fit to a 304 block?

two of my previous cars were a vq stato with a medium c.o.m.e cam/memcal package and i put a powerdyne blower on that, i blew the stock trans up in no time then had the T700 built with more clutches and stg 2 shift kit and it handled the power fine.....but for how long are the old T700's good for?

Then recently i sold my vy ss ute, that was a 6 speed with a textralia Z grip clutch and i fitted a vortech v2 on that, those boxes can handle almost anything but i think the fitment of them to a 304 as in the way of a conversion kit may be a problem.
there is a sticky on SC about the T56 conversions to early commodores...

Next a mate has a injected 383 stroker (280rwkw) in a hz ute, that runs a 800hp built T400 manualised, but im not overly a fan of the high reving on the highway although its strong enough for anything, and i wonder how it would perform with a turbo and a stall as it doesnt have a lock up

what do you guys think from experience?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
T400 or T56 is what ide use its finding a clutch to handle the jandle

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
yeah well i spose i wont need short gears with the t400 otherwise the turbo wont get a proper work out, so the 3.45's might be good enough