Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which type of speakers to buy?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hi everyone, again. I am thinking about upgrading my system even more and I would like some ideas. I currently have Polk MMC6500 splits up front, driven by a Cadence ZRS-1502, and two Kicker L7s being driven by two Cadence ZRS-6000Ds. I now have a Cadence ZRS-7504 sitting around doing nothing, so I was thinking either a second set of splits for the front, or a set of Kicker SS series 6.5" or 8" mid-bass speakers. Basically I'm after clarity as well as volume, as long as it still sound beautiful up loud.

Also I have just purchased a new Optima D34 Yellow Top, but I was what my best option would be in regards to upgrading my alternator. I was thinking of looking for a Police Spec alternator, I believe they put out an extra 30amps. But any other ideas would be welcome, prices hopefully too.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Currently only got one going as the other box hasn't been built yet. As for how it goes, only feeding 700wrms into it and at night, headlights in the rear-view and side mirrors turn into rings!! :yeah::yeah:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Also the clarity I'm getting from these Polks are very good, I just want more volume while retaining that clarity.

Another problem I ran into is that my new Optima battery has the terminals on the wrong side of the battery :bang:. The positive terminal isn't a problem but the negative won't reach because off that annoying 90 degree bend in the bracket. So I was thinking of getting a sparkie to put on some new battery terminal (possibly stinger) and putting all the factory cabling into them. But has anyone else used any different methods? And how hard are they?

Also I'm running the factory ground cables as well as some 0gauge running to the strut tower. Would this be sufficient for about 2000wrms? I'll post some photos.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Here are the photos.

Attachments

• SNC00006.jpg
    SNC00006.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 127
  • SNC00007.jpg
    SNC00007.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
I wouldn't worry about getting an auto elec to put terminals on, it's a piece of piss. Take old ones off, put new ones on, too easy.

Also, I've got 2 aerpro 0 gauge terminals and they're a bit of alright. Work really well, haven't had any issues yet.

It was one of these. The only issue I had was the positive battery post was too thick for it, but it was made of fairly soft metal so I just shaved it down with a flat headed screw driver till the terminal went on. Probably not what the experts would do, but bugger it, if it can manage with a smaller negative post I'm sure shaving 2mm off the positive posts diametre isn't going to hurt.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I know its not to hard but I haven't got any tools big or strong enough to release the crimps they have on the cabling.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
How much power are the polk splits getting at the moment?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
At about 150wrms they start to distort. At least I think its about 150 cause the amp I used was puttin out 300wrms and the gains were set by WOW. They are rated to 125wrms.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hmmm, ok then sounds to me like your getting the most out of your splits.

Maybe look into making up a set of fibreglass pods for the front doors and buying another pair of Polk splits?

Ive looked into mounting a pair in the kicks by remounting the ECU etc, lets just say its more trouble than its worth and youre better off making a set of pods to suit 2 x 6.5s on either side. ;)