Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whining noise, plz help!!

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
I had the same problem once before and I found that it was the remote wire in the end and the fact that i had cheap RCAs didnt help. Make sure the remote wire is running with the power cables and not with the rcas or speaker cables.
First thing i did when i got this problem was to put a cheapo noise reducer, this killed a lot of the noise. Then i went out and bought Stinger RCAs and this killed just about the rest of it. Swapping the remote wire took away the rest of the noise.

Good luck.

M

macdaddy

thanks mate ill swap the reomte cable to the side the power is running down.

12Volt could u give me your opinion on this option??

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I meant if you changed the speaker cable...what side did you put it on.

Ok,your original speaker wires run down the right hand side of the car. So, that eliminates your power cable. It does bring us back to an earth issue....But where? Check the earth wire on the amp and where it connects to the body of the car first. If that doesn't help then checkl the earth behind the CD Player make sure it's tight fit onthe chassis and not using the original earth wire.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I can't imagine the remote wire causing noise...but, I really can't rule it out.

As for RCAs....well, thats anyones guess.

M

macdaddy

where is the best place to earth the amp???
its curently earthed to a bolt holding the boot lid to the boot hinges

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Personally I like to use the baby seat bolt...but, anywhere there is a good solid earth point will be fine, scrap e abit of paint off it needed.

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
These are general rules or tips which will prevent or reduce the problems with engine noise (Whining).

1. Run the patch cords on the opposite side of the vehicle from the main power and remote output wires.
2. Make sure that all of the audio components are well grounded to an area that has has been cleared of all paint, primer and other protective coatings.
3. Don't use the factory wiring for the head unit's (HU) ground connection. Ground the HU to the chassis (body) of the vehicle. If the HU isn't mounted directly to a solid, GROUNDED metal structure, ground the case of the HU to the same point that the HU's ground wire is connected.
4. Do not extend the ground wires of any component unless it's absolutely necessary. If the device's manufacturer designed a high quality input circuit, extending the ground wire will only cause more problems. If all else fails, and you have one audio component which is allowing noise to enter the system, you can then try different grounding points to see if they make a difference.
5. If the insulation on the patch cord is damaged and is allowed to touch to ground, it will likely allow noise to enter the audio signal path. If the patch cord is pinched under the back seat or where it crosses over any sharp metal (where it enters the trunk) it will cause noise problems.
6. An amplifier's speaker output generally has one speaker wire with the audio signal and another (the reference) which is connected to the audio ground inside of the amplifier. If the reference is allowed to come in contact with ground (in the door or back deck of the vehicle), a ground loop may be created allowing noise to enter the system. This is not very common but it has happened.
7. Set the amplifier's gain controls properly. Setting the gains too high will only make a problem with noise worse.

NOTE:
DO NOT make any connection (RCA or otherwise) with the system switched on. Doing so may cause damage to speakers or amplifiers.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Great post FastyOne!

Excellent info.

Gotta agree with King on the remote wire issue though - might depend on the amp I guess. I always run triple-shielded signal cabling, the type that has a single lead wire "in between" the figure 8, which I use for the remote power. Never had any noise problems at all.

(oh, and "triple-shielded" doesn't mean 3-way shielded cable - it means that around each centre core wire, there's a layer or braided copper shield, then a layer of foil shield, then another of braided copper. Not much gets through that.)

A solid ground, through the shortest path, for all components. And no earth loops. Back that up with good quality shielded cable, and that's the best way to get a noise free system. Well, in my own humble opinion! ;)

Cheerz!