Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

white paint

mistergTRx

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP commodore
ok, so im gonna be painting my car white because i don't want the two tone anymore, so my questions are:
if i do each panel separate is it gonna be noticeable when you look at it? (i know with some paints if you do it all separately it is very noticeable)
if so would it help if i cut and polish the car as a whole when its all done? or makes no difference?

i'm using etch primer on the whole car, is this going to work on the bumpers aswell?
or will i need a plastic primer? (i'm only planning on rubbing the paint on the bumpers back a little, then primer rub it back a little, then top coat) will that be ok?

i have one patch on the passenger side door where the paint has come off completely (its a little bigger then a 50 cent coin, and has some surface rust, so i'll be getting rid of the rusty area first), so what is the best way to fill it so it doesnt stand out? (im thinking i'll have to rub the surrounding area smooth before i fill it, to get the surface smooth anyway)
will i have to bog it or what else can you recommend?

i should also add, im going to be doing it in pressure pack, then later on give it one or two coats properly (at the moment, my main concern is to get it all the one colour)

thanks for your help :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
For the love of god dont use a pressure pack.
Don't use an acid etch on plastic for obvious reasons.

Where the paint is flaking you must sand it back untill it feathers out. otherwise it will sink back and you'll see the edge.
If you leave it for any period of time. each panel will look different. Temperature/humidity and UV light all effect the colour.

If you're going to do it with a pressure pack, don't bother with any preparation. Its not worth the effort.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
you can buy cheap one for like $150... why hire?

Get a decent gun though spend the few hundred the cost and you'll be happy you did.

VS_95

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ecotec 3.8 beast lol

Get a decent gun though spend the few hundred the cost and you'll be happy you did.

yeh thats a good idea. Spend a bit now so you dont regret it later. My mates got an vs series 2 and he was painting it black. The worst job ever bcoz of a cheap spray gun lol.

mistergTRx

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP commodore

i didnt realise they were that cheap.
gravity gun is the better one would be the better choice yeah?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah gravity gun is the go.

I'd recommenced an Anset Iwata W40 bang for buck you wont find better for a beginner.