Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who has done a suspension refresh? *CURED FRONT KNOCK/CLUNK*

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
I too had this problem. My 07 VE SS was slammed to the ground when i bought it and raised it slightly and now all around (the fronts especially) knock and rattle and make a really high pitch "metal banging metal" metallic knocking noise as if your dropping washes on the ground along with deep thuds and knocks as if something is loose. I've looked at everything and also had 2 mechanics look at it and a guy from tyre power look at it too when i got new wheels. I have been told it's worn bushes from the car being lowered. Unfortunately even with that I have had no luck in finding the culprit!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Put a set of second hand standard omega struts in it and take it for a drive. Then you will know where the problem is.(or isn't )

TAS1981

Reaction score
So got a call. Nothing obvious wrong, checked bushes, droplinks etc and all seem ok. He said he took the top plates off and compressed them a little as they stretch with age but otherwise all fine....we’ll except for my squeaky as hell brakes!

So i’ll go for a quick spin this evening and see how she goes. It’s bumpy roads all round where I am now so won’t have to go far to test. If no hangers I think i’ll Just have to live with it as “normal”. I got a bunch of new internal trim clips which i’ll Swap out and some foam strips to try and reduce rattle strategically.

TAS1981

Reaction score
So I i'm probably in need of new front discs, which I would normally do myself but these days time is a premium and I no longer have the room.

Since the wheel will be coming off, the strut tops have been identified as not the issue and i am still getting clonky clonk and the sway bar links and bushes are only about $100 all up, am I better of getting them done at the same time and crossing my fingers? I assume it will be another hours labour but I am not to fussed by that if that's done as well....

Will probably speak to the mechanic again today and confirm anyway.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's usually the way I go in these situations. Keep fitting new parts that you think are the most likely culprits. That way you end up with the best result in the end as your car Is loaded with lots of new parts that were half worn out anyway, whether they were the cause of the clunky clonks or not.

TAS1981

Reaction score
To provide closure on this thread....just changed the sway bar D-bushes with Whiteline jobs...

AT LAST NO CLUNK! Seriously took me too loooooong to get on with the most common advice lol! In my defence I thought they looked ok and so did two mechanics, which goes to show they can be sh@gged and not look it, even when I got them off. If it shifts left to right, change them. Prolly even if they don't.

If you have a clunk, this is hands down a cheap and easy first check. I had to do mine on the side of a road with camber and managed it, so on the flat in a drive way should be easy.

Took it for a drive and was waiting for the clunk, it never came, didn't fit the drop links, could not get a purchase on the ends to apply enough pressure to get them off.

ShedHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6 Sportwagon
Yes, 11 years is a long time if you are a suspension bush. The rubber hardens up as well, so most of the others could do with replacing as well. Its a big job, and all simple clunky stuff, but we totally transformed an otherwise shagged VY several years ago with all new stuff from a suspension mob in Bayswater Perth. Replacement strut inserts were Boge I think, and Whiteline bushes. The car drove like new afterwards... well so it should. The worst culprit was the large Tension Rod bush on the front (dont know what the equivalent is on the VE) as this component does a lot of work. Psyching myself up to do something on the 2008 VE Sportwagon I just got.