Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who hates the VE Manual Gearbox?

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Not a problem for me!

I've been driving manual Commodores (VL, VSII, VYII and VE MY09) and F**ds (XD and EAII) since 1980. My current MY09 SV6 is fine, no problems at all.

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
I've complained about 2nd gear since around the 3,000km service and apparently the issue is just me. I often pull off in 2nd so I can avoid the 1st to 2nd change (there's plenty of torque in the V8 to make this viable).

I'm kinda glad to see there's others with similar issues as it means it's not all in my head! I've also had difficulty selecting 1st at traffic lights - to fix I generally have to choose another gear, lift the clutch slightly and then try again; it's like the box needs to be rotated ever so slightly to allow the 1st gear to engage.

Since my warranty is expiring in a couple of months, I might give a whirl to complain again and see what happens. Otherwise I might try the alternative clutch idea.

but to the OP - you're aren't alone!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
you've got an ssv mate the v8's have a different gearbox.

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Got same problem as you k3v0..

Has anyone else noticed that the gearboxes are really noisy? As in when you change into different gears, it makes a *clunk* noise?

Is this normal?

Yes i agree the gear box is very loud. But it might be normal because you can hear all cars change gears with a *clunk*.

Recently I've been changing from 1st to 2nd really quick and it seems to work a lot better. But it still does get stuck going into 2nd from time to time (like it won't go in).

Should I still take it to the dealer before my 3 year warranty is up? If i do... what shall i say?

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
have owned and driven numerous manual vz and ve v6's.... never struck problem with gearchanges? they do clunk into gear, but quite smoothly if that makes sense? i mean there's a rather loud clunk noise, but it throws in smoothly... i can only hear the noise with the window down, or radio off... thats just the nature of these aisin gearboxes.

the clutch's are garbage from all reports, that said i've never personally had issues... but they are definately on the verge of they're breaking point at standard power and torque levels... mine get driven easy... why hammer the ute when i can take it easy on the bike and still be much faster?

i rather like the throw on these boxes, and i like the low first ratio... rather an enjoyable alloytec experience... that said, if i could have one thing it would be more torque.... pulling up steep hills at 100km/h especially with some cargo in the back is dissapointing, but drop some ratio's and watch it do it no worries...

but yeah, never missed a single change with this gearbox, quite a confident little manual to drive with i find.... side note i prefer the idea of reverse like the t56's, over by the tall ratio's. just preference, i mean with the aisin's detent system unless you fail at life its impossible to select reverse in place of first or vice versa, just my preference.

KARMA 6L

mmmmmm 6.0L
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS Manual
2nd gear on my SS has been pretty rough since I got her. It seemed better after the first service but didn't take long to stiffen up again. All other gears are fine. I'm at 7500 and I was thinking of taking her in before the 15k to get it checked out. I was only thinking today that I must post on JC to see if it is just me going crazy and I find your post!

Impulse SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a 07 SV6 manual and i too found going from 1st to 2nd a bit tricky when i first got it but once you get used to its fine. it does clunk slightly as it goes through the gate but i have found that you either have to change very early at lowish revs or get it up around 3000-3500rpm before changing to get smooth results. I have never had trouble with it as far as not being able to get it into 2nd gear though, maybe your clutch is on its way out!:thumbsup:

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Welcome to the forum man and i hope that it's not the clutch! Will go to the dealer when i get the chance and stop being lazy. HAHA Have you gave it a flog and tried changing the gear? say around 5-6000rpm. Let me know how that goes because mine gets harder to put into to 2nd gear.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Hey guys.

Just a quick question regarding my car. I have this weird problem in my car for a few weeks now. When I change gears and get off the clutch, it always goes clunk when it engages. Also, when I push the clutch in to change gears it also clunks and shudders...has this got anything to do with my new diff? It's a 3.27LSD off a VE GTS...

Or has it got something to do with the actual gearbox?

My car has only done around 2100ks on it..

kgb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Rather typical things of holden gearbox really, they're clunky and change poorly in comparison to many others... Clutch burns out pretty easy for inexperienced people too, but i'd say that's more to the point of it being a very touchy clutch and as such is much more prone to have people ride it.

Work well when they're being flogged though. I find mine a touch clunky to change thru gears when babying it, compared to a 6 speed supra box. However, as i said, it's a holden box and they're all known for being rather average on changes.

Mine is the 6 speed v8 box, but when i worked for holden i found them all to be pretty similar