Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who Loves The Station Wagon

andyman4444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Station Wagon 1987
Heeeey People I just bought my first car, A VL Commodore Station Wagon and its awsome, all the girls are like hehe station wagon, can u put the back seat forward :D
I put two 12" Alpine Subs and am using a BOSS 1000W Amp but will proberly upgrade it to something better later.
It was an Ass to take out the tape deck but i put in a Tevion Mp3 Player from Aldi $130 works well, same as one of my friends Sanyo Mp3 Decks
I get about 400km per refill which although isnt too bad, with riseing petrol prices i might be thinking of getting those Repco fuel injection things installed, if anyone has other information bout their Station Wagon send me a buzz
I'm Only new but am eager to make my car something special. GO THE VL!!
From AnDy

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Welcome to the forum!

I've had 2 VL Wagons and now got a VK wagon. I bought mine because i like to stand out, and at the time no-one was modding any wagons.
What do you need to know about your wagon? Most things will relate to a sedan anyway

andyman4444

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the wagon is defintly an awsome car, the engine is pretty clean too which is good, its done 280000 kms which is a fair bit, but still goes good.
It took ages to get the F***ing tape deck out that was an ass, but its better with my mp3 deck in it!!
one of my friends got his car broken into and i kinda herd that the VL is one of the easiest cars to break into and i got my subs and stuff and i dont want them stolen any ideas of alarm systems or should i just put 12V through the bolts, haha bastards that will make em think twice before stealing my car! well if u got info on alarms window tinting, and better fuel economy message me back :) cheers From AnDy

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Best thing i can suggest, would be to get central locking (with an alarm) and take the door locks out and paint over them. I wouldn't do it for a sedan, cause if your central locking fails, you can't get in the car, with a wagon you can just climb through the back.

andyman4444

Reaction score
Members Ride
haha love it :) good ol station wagon *come on*
I tried putting central locking on it before and its a bit of a pain, but i reckon if i tried again i could do it, i ended up selling the pack and making $10 so i will try for it again and the alarm... hmm i got a yellow button alarm but i dont think the wires are even connected to it, i might have to buy a new one.
What are you ideas on fuel economy? and don't say get rid of lead foot lol i dont have one, i use neutral going down hills!

Last edited:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
andyman4444 said:
haha love it :) good ol station wagon *come on*
I tried putting central locking on it before and its a bit of a pain, but i reckon if i tried again i could do it, i ended up selling the pack and making $10 so i will try for it again and the alarm... hmm i got a yellow button alarm but i dont think the wires are even connected to it, i might have to buy a new one.
What are you ideas on fuel economy? and don't say get rid of lead foot lol i dont have one, i use neutral going down hills!
Thats wierd. i've had 4 VLs and all were run on Unleaded. although, 2 were 87 and 2 were 88, but i thought thats waht was the superfantastic thing about a VL, having unleaded.

I think your best bet would be to go to a wrecker, and buy and old rusted out door, just to practice with the locking. Thats not something you want to $$$$ up. My mate just swapped his VT for a VLCT and both door locks fell out, the last owner tried (i use the term VERY loosly) to put Solex locks in.

andyman4444

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol no u miss understood when i said "lead foot" it runs on unleaded petrol but only gets bout 380 to 400 and when it hits empty it doesnt wana go anywhere at all.

V

VL_WAGON

Ive had 5 VL's 2 wagons 3 sedans, all of them were 3L (RB30) 5 speed man, all of them got around 380-400 round town but i could squeze 650 sometimes 700 on a trip. One tip coasting in 5th gear down hill uses less than neutral, because its shuts off fuel to the engine when engine braking. Also some decent free flow extractors help to and make sure its well serviced if you let the oil get to dirty the lifters will wear out fast. fuel filter and air filter should be keep in good nic to.

Last edited by a moderator:

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
andyman4444 said:
lol no u miss understood when i said "lead foot" it runs on unleaded petrol but only gets bout 380 to 400 and when it hits empty it doesnt wana go anywhere at all.

wish i got that much. i swear im like the most responsible driver i know (cept my dad who drives a camry, and you knwo what they say about camry drivers now) and i get 360ish on ultimate. im getting hammered up the ass by fuel costs.

andyman4444

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh and here i am thinking that 400 is hard done by! lol my mum has a holden statesmen v6 supercharged and it gets like 500km :S thats why i was wondering why i was getting 400km in a RB30 and hell yes the statesmen rocks!! omg i love that car it just is a rocket *sigh* wish i had a supercharger... on my wagon!
My car is an auto too which sucks, i like manual for criusing but in the wagon and when u got a chick with ya, the gear hand can do otha stuff :bop: haha