Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Who should I get to tune my LS1?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
First things first, I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I am trying to find someone and/or some options on who to tune my car.

I have a VX Series 2 LS1 Berlina with a 3 Inch Hurricane cat back at present and vapour LPG injection.
I already have a (cheap) mail order maffless tune from no one special which seems ok on a basically stock motor. However I am planning a few things for the car so I want someone reputable to do the tuning now and I will be converting it to a T56 soon so will need it tuned anyway.

I am at the moment looking a Oztracks mail order or remote tuning process, leaning more towards the remote tuning one as I am possibly getting a cam in the future and according to their website is cheap enough to retune.

Mods planned are OTR, Pacemakers and high flow cats, not sure on specs but thinking 4 to 1, anyone with ideas or pipe sizes jump in. And in the future diff change to 3.7 or something, and a cam and related gear to suit the LPG system maybe increased compression, might change to Liquid Injected Gas as well.

I don't want this car to be crazy, just a nice cruiser with lots of reliable power on LPG and sound amazing.

I am kinda new to this side of things so any help at all would be appreciated. Other tuners, ideas on mods, whatever.
Also opinions on if I should be looking at Maff or Maffless tuning on it.

Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
personally i wouldnt get anyone to tune the engine if a wideband sensor is not used, as far as i know remote tuners dont use them so then u dont get the correct data to tune right, yes u can go off the trims but that is just not the right way to do it and even when ur in OL trims arnt used so u need to know whats going on, if u can get into someone u will get a much better tune on a dyno with the proper setup

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. That does make sense and is something that I forgot about.
I'll add to this that if anyone knows and recommends someone within the Brisbane area (gold coast included) let me know.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
don't touch oztrack, so so so many threads and complaints about how **** their tunes are, they are known as engine killers for a reason.

Also you never want a mail order tune, you don't know what 'tune' they are putting in there or telling it to run like, it can cause serious problems.

Just ring some performance shops around your area for pricing.

Then google the stores and find some posts on forums about them, most people who get there cars tune will talk about the store on facebook or a forum somewhere.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I have a mail order in the VZ. Works perfectly fine and is perfectly safe. Not all mail orders are garbage. Yes they won't be 100% spot on like a proper dyno tune but at $300 vs $1000 plus for a mildly modded car you can figure out what the most cost effective option is.

With yours being on LPG etc though your much better going to one of these companies previously listed though.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the input guys. Didn't know that about oztrack so very helpful.
Thinking I might go check out the guys above and sort something out once I have the manual side done.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I ran an Oztrack mail order tune for nearly a year (around 2010) before camming my LS2 Senator and it ran faultless until I started to notice a funny drop in power as it reached top rpm then would come good right at the top end.
So after reading all the horror stories about Oztrack I decided to take the car to one of Sydneys top tuners who back then worked at Croyden autosports.
First dyno run netted 255rwkw with a dip around 4800 coming good after 5500 which I was told was weak valve springs which were then replaced.
While he was doing this I asked him to also give the tune a run over.
anyway after the springs and tune the car now ran 258rwkw with out the dip and according to him no problems with the tune.
I short there was no problem with Oztracks mail order tune.
These days I run a full Oztrack mafless tune and have not had any problems for over 4 years with small cam, Higgins heads, Fast102 manifold and stock exhaust.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmmm. Conflicting information.

Surfwagon, so you were happy with Oztracks tune? And is your current setup Dyno tuned by Oztrack or Remote tuned as on their website it states they can do remote cam tuning for an additional few hundred on top of their remote tune.

And Wraith, just out of curiosity, would you be willing to tell me who did your tune?

As said in my initial post I do already have a basic maffless tune which I have been running for around 3 years without any issue (while on LPG too) so I know they aren't all terrible, but would obviously like something properly suited to my applications when I am done.

Main question is should I pay the money for a dyne tune now, then get it touched up for the cam and such in the future? Or go for a remote tune, or decent mail order now to get around the Manual issues then get a proper one done with the cam? I don't really like having to pay twice for no real reason if I don't have to.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
My current tune is dyno tuned with road fine tuning by Steve @ Oztrack and I haven't touched my car for at least 20K/klm.
I'm due to replace my plugs soon at 160k.