Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whoops... wrong polarity

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
hi, i got a dead cell in the battery and bought a new one, and of course me being stoopid hooked up postive to negative and vice verca. got a nice few sparks and 'zaps' before i realised the terminals wouldn't fit for some reason... then i realised why.

before i reconnect it the correct way... what have i probably rooted? is it wise enough to just connect it the correct way and see what happens?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
probably wont hurt at this stage to just hook it up correctly and see.

Check your fuses too.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
cant do much more damage haha

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
As DannyboyDS, put it in properly and cross your fingers. Im sure there was someone else not too long ago that did the same thing, fixed it up and all was fine. At least you will only do it once!

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
haha yeah it seemed so obvious in hindsight and feel stupid now oh well learning curve. put it all in correct way and all seems well except a blown parking light after checking all electrical systems.

also i realised i don't have my radio code and for some reason every other time i disconeected the battery it didn't need it. Oh well no tunes until that's obtained.

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
lol... i have done that and couldnt understand y the abs fuse blew... worng way..lol nothing else damaged thank god...

Nickhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (i think)
so ive done this same boneheaded move. my radio is gone, my battery indicator light has stayed on, and as i was parking last nite, the low fuel indicator popped on, then off, gas guage dropped to nothing (quarter tank in), and the headlights got dim.

i understand its the alternator, but before i go and tear it down. does the alternator itself have a fuse? (wrong cables hooked up for about 10-13 seconds, and smoke did come out of the alternator), or have i fried my alternator?

im in lithgow, is there any where to purchase rebuilt alternators for a reduced cost? (in case mine is fried?)

1999 Commodore

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
so ive done this same boneheaded move. my radio is gone, my battery indicator light has stayed on, and as i was parking last nite, the low fuel indicator popped on, then off, gas guage dropped to nothing (quarter tank in), and the headlights got dim.

i understand its the alternator, but before i go and tear it down. does the alternator itself have a fuse? (wrong cables hooked up for about 10-13 seconds, and smoke did come out of the alternator), or have i fried my alternator?

im in lithgow, is there any where to purchase rebuilt alternators for a reduced cost? (in case mine is fried?)
1999 Commodore

I reckon the alternator has fried. If you can't afford a new one then try some wreckers.

Nickhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (i think)
i was prepared for the worst.

i figured as much. im originally from the states, so i need to stop thinking 'backwards' and no more bong hits before maintenance.

i know back home we would buy them reconditioned, is that not an option here?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
yep, alternator will all cooked and crispy.

you could try an auto elec for a reco, but they may end up charging you more cause they won't be able to rebuild yours.