Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whos got an LSD/minispool?!

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
Hey guys, the responses have been very helpful.

I just bought a brand new minispool and brand new 3.7gears

we'll See how I go

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
How would the cops go about cheking if you have a minispool fitted? has any one ever been busted?

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Probably just a defect? (i dont know lol)

I dont know anyone who has been caught but i guess you could say it is a very tight rebuild lsd or say you brought it like that? doubt your chances that they will believe you but its worth a shot lol

btw you will love the spool and gears :D

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
They cant really check without jacking up the rear end, or asking you to perform a turn for them which Im not sure if they can do that. But if a cop becomes suspicious and asks me whats going on, Im just going to play dumb. I even put the old rusted tag back on the diff cover to give it that untouched look. :p

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
im lookin at a mini spool 4 my ute as there a bit lighter than a sedan in the ars should i get one

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
While were on the subject of spools and LSD's (assuming they do it too), anyone else experience axle tramp? Ive got a severe case of it under wheelspin in a straight line, but not while turning/sliding. It can get quite violent at times. Ive read that harder control arm bushes fix this?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Shagged bushes and shagged shocks can be a problem. Stiff springs also cause it. A combination of harder bushes and softer springs generally helps :)

You get axle tramp when you're on the verge of traction, so another way to fix it is either to get tyres with a lot more traction, or a lot less :)

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Ah right. Well the bushes dont appear to be cracked or broken but the design makes them flexible. Like you can jam a screwdriver in there and move them around. So harder bushes wouldnt be a bad idea. I have stock springs (lol) and Monroe gas shocks, which look a little old but Ive had them out in a vice to test which checked out ok.

Ha, so seems I have traction issues, too much of it! Theyre only 205's but quite soft. But I have some aged hard 215's in the shed which just need some rims. ;)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
While were on the subject of spools and LSD's (assuming they do it too), anyone else experience axle tramp? Ive got a severe case of it under wheelspin in a straight line, but not while turning/sliding. It can get quite violent at times. Ive read that harder control arm bushes fix this?

I have that problem aswell but my upper control arms are stuffed lol and also my rear shockers haha

So i'll change them one day when i can be bothered haha

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
axle tramp is most likely caused by stuffed bushes in the upper arms. they may look ok with them in the car but pull one out and check. mine looked fine but with the arm out you could see the rubber had detached on one side from the outer.

if you have a spool fitted get the softer urethane style bushes. with a spool you want softer bushes so the suspension has a bit of give seeing as the wheels are always gonna push you in a staight line so when you turn the car something has to give. (even holden play'd around with solid and void type bushes in the upper arms to give the most compliant ride)

unless you have similar power levels to VN luke and drive it like it's stolen stock axles should be fine