Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why am i getting further in power mode?

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
my car gets fairly bad economy..i get about 220km max city km's out of it so i thought i test out power mode for a couple tank and i'm getting roughly 300 city kms out of it now..just wondering if anyone would have an explanation for this?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
my car gets fairly bad economy..i get about 220km max city km's out of it so i thought i test out power mode for a couple tank and i'm getting roughly 300 city kms out of it now..just wondering if anyone would have an explanation for this?

Power holds the auto in 3rd gear until around 95 km/h so that would mean that the engine isn't labouring at slower speeds in 4th gear. Either way that is absolutely shocking fuel economy, so I'd be getting that looked at.

Start by checking and or replacing your air filter, cleaning your MAF with contact cleaner, cleaning the throttle body, replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter, and then check your O2 (oxygen) sensors. I'd also be replacing your thermostat and checking out the coolant temperature sensor too, either one of these can cause your car to run rich and chew through the fuel. Most people get around 400km if not more out of a tank around the city in their V6 commodores!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I get 500km to a full tank of BP Ultimate in a tuned 5 litre V8 with a few extra bits!

I'd definantly be getting that looked at mate!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As you say its "city" mode then maybe 220km is OK. The higher figure (300km) may be due to city driving resulting in the car never going higher than 3rd gear or above 40kph - PWR mode holds lower gears longer. If you want to find out more ask a taxi driver.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
yeh power mode works well...been testing it the last few days (as compared to economy mode) .... have to say its much mush fasted and i like it:p but not sure on fuel wise as i only been using it now and then

93vr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Im filling up tomorrow so I will do the "pwr" button experiment in my 94 VR exec....i get 550km to a tank now and its on fumes when i fill up again....ill get back to you next refill :)

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
ive been running in power mode for a month after the car was in economy for 10 years lol
ended up blowing a trans line and front seal wen I put it bak into economy last week

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
i'm assuming my car is just chewing a heap under load and is better locking up in 3rd than bogging it down in 4th...

think its about time my car gets a good look over with petrol figures like this!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
ive been running in power mode for a month after the car was in economy for 10 years lol
ended up blowing a trans line and front seal wen I put it bak into economy last week

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact you put it back into economy mode... your gearbox was on its way out already.

burnsy150, 200km per tank, or even 300, is really terrible. That's even worse than any worked V8 I've ever come across.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I thought using pwr around town was bad for the auto?