Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why Degree A Cam Shaft?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So everyone that is getting a cam put into their engine is has to get it done by a race car engine builder....

How about keeping your hands above your belt line.....You carry on about race car engines and all that crap, when it actual fact 99% of people only use their engines in real world stop start traffic....Race car engines are built to rev to their limits constantly....Real world engines don't....They hit their rev limit every now and then....

Yeah, the sky won't fall in but engines might go bang...Not perform they way their surposed to if sloppiness is adheared by your admissions, by not degreeing the cam in when it is put in.

You just prooved my point thanks for that.
Yes street cars are not race engines so race engine level steps are not needed when installing a cam.
And a cam being advanced or retarded won't make the engine go bang that's why there's adjuster ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You just prooved my point thanks for that.
Yes street cars are not race engines so race engine level steps are not needed when installing a cam.
And a cam being advanced or retarded won't make the engine go bang that's why there's adjuster ;)

I sure did...Half assed people don't degree cams and you have your hand below the belt line.

Correction...The 2nd part of that sentence was already known...

Now all we need to know is where you work so others on this forum can avoid you like the plague

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not all LS are the same and ALL should be checked, LS engines can have varied piston to deck height and i was one that had piston slightly above the deck and it was lucky my mechanic is one that checks clearances and when installing the cam even with .597 lift and 233 deg dur on 114 lsa had valve contact to the piston so i had to go a thicker head gasket,
if it was just installed dot/dot and started up i would have maby needed a new engine, camshafts/valve clearances should always be checked when changed and as some do not they are playing a roulette game with a customers engine over a simple check as not all production engines have same clearances

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
How about just do your engines how you have been taught, or always have done?
So much discussion on something that everyone will have different opinions on.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
How about just do your engines how you have been taught, or always have done?
So much discussion on something that everyone will have different opinions on.
Yep I agree with that, trouble is a lot of people watch ewetube and follow the sheep when they have never done any engine work. It;s always good to learn something new and put into hands on experience. I have done engines cams probably 3 ways depending what engine is involved with fitment of other stuff.
Most stock engines you don't need to degree cam, performance engines is a different story and needs to get done as a lot more involved than just a cam/s especially if your paying a shop to build motor for you. Most self builders should do cam degree check for peace of mind, however most just slap a new cam and lifters and away they go hoping to get heaps of power without knowing there is more to it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I once changed a timing gear on a hot holden 6 I had and found 2 shims behind the old gear in my great wisdom I left them off the first time we know how that motor ran compared to before I touched it. The oldman used to get a bloke to come dial in the cam on the few hotties he played with. I'd imagine there would still be mobile mechanics doing that today. Is it cheating calling up a Knower that knows?

hookalaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 3.6
Lol pretty sure I could remove the bs and cull this thread and make it 80% less reading with 'just the facts mam' to many threads turn into arguments and personal attacks on ppl. Make it a rule to add just the facts to the conversation please.

Reactions: Lex