Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why Degree A Cam Shaft?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no correct timing for a cam ffs.
Go degree a set of alloy tech cams.

There are plenty of other people who would disagree with that statement. I'll email all the major cam manufacturers and tell them to stop providing cam cards with recommended cam ICL settings because Shane said so!

Alloytec cams are adjustable via the tune but still there is a right way and wrong way to set up the timing chains.

Hell, there was an option for electronically adjustable timing on the LS motors but it's something we never got on this side of the world.

Look up a thread by my old mate Pir4te and see what he did with his donk and variable cam timing.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Shane again over timing a camshaft

1623546906575.png

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wow Profix, thats a horrible blast from the past.

Automasters are a WA based franchise that bought out Profix for a very very cheap price. (I know a lot about profix, unfortunatley).

They fired 90% of the Profix groups mechanics because out of all 17 SA stores, apparently they had 3 fully qualified mechanics between them, if that doesn't paint a horrible picture for you I don't know what will.

This helps confirm the rumours I heard all those years ago.....There were a heap floating around at the time, but like most rumours within in the industry deciphering the truth from the bulldust is difficult.....

Heard a few bad rumours recently about automasters but that's another story...:)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This popped up in my recommended list today.

Legendary engine designer/builder Steve Morris.
Recommended the use of Roll Master adjustable timing set with IWIS chain to set the cam on this LS build.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
This popped up in my recommended list today.

Legendary engine designer/builder Steve Morris.
Recommended the use of Roll Master adjustable timing set with IWIS chain to set the cam on this LS build.

Like I've said all along I'm not it's the wrong thing to do. What I'm saying is that it's not a mandatory check that is needed to be done on an engine.
Some people might recommend doing it and some shops just don't do it.
The sky won't fall if the cam is not degreed.
But also like I've said to do it properly the heads need to be off, have you ever watched a engine being built by a professional race engine builder? They always degree the cam then stick the heads on.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe you missed his comment about using a stock timing set if you are trying to save $$$.

That's right, it is easiest to degree the cam with the heads off, that does NOT mean it can't be done with the heads on. It's rather simple with a piston stop and a push rod between the lifter and the dial gauge. It's also easiest to confirm TDC and the balancer which might not be critical on a late model engine with integral reluctor wheel but critical to make life easy on something that isn't and not just a simple curtisy to make life easier for the next guy to work on the car.

It's funny though, top engine builders do it but it's ok for a shop to just put it where it may. Kinda contradictory unless you want decent performance I guess. Nope, the sky won't fall in but you also risk the engine not performing to it's potential but it's not your money right so what do you care?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Maybe you missed his comment about using a stock timing set if you are trying to save $$$.

That's right, it is easiest to degree the cam with the heads off, that does NOT mean it can't be done with the heads on. It's rather simple with a piston stop and a push rod between the lifter and the dial gauge. It's also easiest to confirm TDC and the balancer which might not be critical on a late model engine with integral reluctor wheel but critical to make life easy on something that isn't and not just a simple curtisy to make life easier for the next guy to work on the car.

It's funny though, top engine builders do it but it's ok for a shop to just put it where it may. Kinda contradictory unless you want decent performance I guess. Nope, the sky won't fall in but you also risk the engine not performing to it's potential but it's not your money right so what do you care?

When I shops do it I'm not refering to any I work for either.
I've seen and heard of many shops just doing the spin and fit trick and you'd be surprised at how many do it and who does it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When I shops do it I'm not refering to any I work for either.
I've seen and heard of many shops just doing the spin and fit trick and you'd be surprised at how many do it and who does it.
Feel free to share those you know who don't degree a cam. I want to avoid them when I get a new bus and eventually have it cammed.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Like I've said all along I'm not it's the wrong thing to do. What I'm saying is that it's not a mandatory check that is needed to be done on an engine.
Some people might recommend doing it and some shops just don't do it.
The sky won't fall if the cam is not degreed.
But also like I've said to do it properly the heads need to be off, have you ever watched a engine being built by a professional race engine builder? They always degree the cam then stick the heads on.

So everyone that is getting a cam put into their engine is has to get it done by a race car engine builder....

How about keeping your hands above your belt line.....You carry on about race car engines and all that crap, when it actual fact 99% of people only use their engines in real world stop start traffic....Race car engines are built to rev to their limits constantly....Real world engines don't....They hit their rev limit every now and then....

Yeah, the sky won't fall in but engines might go bang...Not perform they way their surposed to if sloppiness is adheared by your admissions, by not degreeing the cam in when it is put in.