Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do commies from vr-vs have major oil leaks!!!!!!

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
Oil leaks are pretty much standard on the old ecotec 6, and on the previous six cyl for the VN to VR. Power steering leaks are extremely common, as are the pumps failing. Ever commodore I have ever looked at has a leaking or weeping rear main seal, including mine and my parents. My rear main isn't too bad, it just weeps a bit, but the parents has been done twice under warranty, first time was when the car was six months old, and it still leaks now, even dripping on the driveway. Its certainly not worth repairing the rear main due to the cost of the job, but aslong as you degrease it often, its generally ok.

Transmission gaskets also leak, but that can be easily fixed with a trans service. I haven't had any problems with my diff leaking, except for the diff breather pipe, which did leak at one stage.

The other common leak is the rocker cover gaskets, mine aren't too bad, but the parent's VS leaks pretty badly.... don't know why, it has heaps less km than mine...

I guess that with the age of the VR and VS now, a lot of seals will be perishing or wearing out, so you have to expect do some replacing along the way...
my real main seals perfectly fine. i had it blow twice within a year but after fixing it the second time its sweet. lol

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ive owned three commodores in my life (vp exec, vn calais, vs equipe) and none have ever had major oil leaks. it all comes down to how they've been looked after by previous owners and how well you look after it, in my opinion.
the majority of car owners will treat a car like crap once out of new car warranty - not on purpose, simply because they wouldnt have a clue what should be serviced/replaced at recommended intervals.
alot of peoples metallity seems to be "change the oil every 6months and she'll be right" - and "its still works, why pay to have it fixed".

maryjane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
fords more prone to oil leaks lol

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I dont have any problems with oil leaks in my VR and we never had any problems with oil leaks in my parents old VT either

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
don't get me started on leaks :mad:
my trans pump s**t itself last week and for the cost of replacing one single part I can get the whole damn thing rebuilt! has just about every leak known: head gaskets, rear main, ps pump, ps rack, trans cooler lines... thankfully they're all minor (except trans leak) and the car can be driven until I can fix it

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
from my experiences, keep your rubber boot (on the steering rod) in good condition. If this deteriates, it lets dirt eat out seals... I had this happen to me...

I didn't do the pump because it was leaking, but because it was noisy. The boots are on the rack and mine are fine.

the seals that are used usually perish once the engines show some age and this can be said for a lot of car makers, its not really that strange but Holden did have some quality control issues when these cars were made which is showing today, but still less trouble than falcons, hopefully they have finally got it right with the VE

The seals actually go hard, they don't perish. Every single engine in every single car will leak oil at some point and to some degree. Engines get hot, parts expand and the oil is under pressure as it moves around the engine and it gets pretty thin.

If you drove a Toyota you would probably complain about their oil leaks. Most cars have their common problems, it's up to each individual owner to keep an eye out and fix things as they arise. The joys of owning a motor car.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
talking about oil leaks, on me parents vs there seems to be a leak coming from the oil preasure switch plug is that possible, i cant see any leaks from around it, only there

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The pressure switch leaks from where the bakelite meets the metal or around the outside. It will get worse and only costs less than $20 for a new one a 5 mins to fit.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
yer just checking , got a good one in my rack of spares