Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why dont my subs carry???

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
im worried because my rear window sill has shifted in the passed 2 months of getting the new amps lol

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
window sill shifting? it's called old age, your car is 15 years old.

I know when I hit fifteen something had already started to "lower"

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
make a big box and face the subs to the back, but have the box smak bang behind the back seats and that should sound ok. works every time 4 me

vxwagon

Video Producer /Cameraman
Reaction score
Website
www.jetvideo.com.au
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
make sure that they are hooked up correctly and not phasing each other other, cancelling the sound

Z

ZER0

i have 2 10" fusions, in my car it feel's like someone is punching me in the back. but out side the car there is just the slightest thuding noise...at least it doesnt draw attention!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
still begs the question of why you want them heard outside the car in the first place...

S

Spin_City

still begs the question of why you want them heard outside the car in the first place...

its not that i "want" them to carry its just that i thought that it was unusuall

anyway the problem has been resolved as my box is now ported and they carry heaps now

thanks for all the sugestions

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
Try also have to remember that low frequency sounds work a little differently to high frequency sounds.

Facing the speakers in a certain direction does very little to low frequency sound output, as the waves tend to hit your ear drum roughly the same no matter which direction they come from.

That is why you can hear the bass from cars passing by you from a long way off, as the low frequency waves travel through the air and other, more dense, materials much more easily.

Usually, the bass your speakers put out will be much less audible right outside your car than it is inside. Strangely enough, it will also be less audible right outside your car than it is a long way away from your car. Alot of the background noise you get with your engine and exhaust as well as your higher frequency speakers will disappear as you move away from your car, leaving only the lower frequency sounds.

I see it every day in my own house. My house is built on a solid concrete foundation which is on top of solid rock. The sub attached to my computer is set at a specific volume all the time, I don't change it. In my room, the bass level is quite comfortable to my ears, and fits in quite nicely with my mids and tweeters. In the lounge room, the other side of the house, the mids and tweeters are inaudible, but the bass frequency is heard at exactly the same volume as it is in my room. The lower frequency travels through the solid floor whereas the higher frequencies get lost much closer to the source.

Just remember this when listening to your stereo. Just because it's soft when you stand outside your car, does not mean it isn't carrying. It just means that the background noise is overpowering the lower frequencies where you are standing. Walk further away from your car and I'm sure you'll hear it more clearly.

V

vg_ute

i got a 15 inch sub in my ute and it bangs pretty hard inside and out. its fully sick

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
As said above, lower frequencies travel further. A band pass box is called that because it only lets a certain band of frequencies through. The box acts as a high pass and low pass filter, so it cuts off the low frequencies and high frequencies and just lets a small range of frequencies play. That would be why your bass wouldn't "carry". Your ported box might be tuned lower or just be louder, that's why it can be heard further away.