Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why dont they....

D

damo15

why dont they instead of banning high proformance cars from us younger pppl. they should provide places like drag stirps and that sort of things 4 us to get 2gether with friends and hav fun. some ppl want 2 do there cars up and now gonna hav 2 wait coz of these, not all ppl wanna go street racing and so on. sum ppl like me hav a goal that they wanna reach like i do which is 2 get my car in street commodores (one day) and they just wanna cruise, but there are sum ppl that wreck stuff 4 everyone. if they ban these sort of cars i garantee u that ppl will find a loop hole and there cars will still put out f**kloads at the rear wheels anywayz it any one wants 2 comment on my rambling crap feel free 2

cheers damo :flame:

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Simple answer mate...money, politics (of drag-racing organisations), and insurance.
Money...you have to find someone good hearted enough to pay to set up a facility with maybe a 1/8 mile drag strip, burnout area, and skidpan...that costs big moolah, believe me. Before that though the interested party would have to go through all sorts of council approvals and complaints from "not in my back yard" people who don't want it near them. Then you have to be garanteed of clients who will pay to use the place regularly...yes, pay...no-one is going to set up a place like this as a charity. If no-one ends up using it, it will fall on it's arse and die.
Politics of drag racing bodies: I once asked sveeral very in-the-know people about why we don't have a drag strip, even a 1/8 mile set up, in Bundaberg...the answer was that there is a strip at Willowbank and one at Bernaraby 200 km away...if someone wanted to build one, an officially recognised one here, they wouldn't get ANDRA approval...something to do with distance from other drag strips. This brings us back to someone paying out big to set it up themselves and running it privately.
Insurance: Don't get me started...our motorbike club has to pay an exhorbatant amount each year in insurance just to run a one-day motorbike rally in case some schmuck falls off his ride and decides to sue us...we have filled out indemnity forms, saying it is all "at your own risk", but apparently these common forms aren't worth the paper they are written on...if you want to sue, you can go to court and even if you have signed a carefully worded form saying you knew the risks about whatever activity you have undertaken, it is disregarded in court. Any fun sport, from rent-a-go-kart tracks to sedate motorcycle ride days to horse riding clubs are slapped with massive insurance premiums because of a percieved risk in these activities.

Basically, it is all too hard. If I won Lotto I might consider doing something just for the hell of it, but even with millions behind me I would be checking that all the people who say they would attend something like that regularly and pay for it aren't just pissing in the wind, and were serious about getting off the streets.

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
i dont think building drag strips and skid pans would reduce accidents and deaths caused or involving young drivers

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
it isn't just racing that is the problem, it is the driver losing control. a young guy up here put his car through a few trees and a light pole after it lost traction going through a puddle. apparently he wasn't racing or speeding or anything, he was bringing the car up to the speed limit and hit the water.

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
vh-holden said:
it isn't just racing that is the problem, it is the driver losing control. a young guy up here put his car through a few trees and a light pole after it lost traction going through a puddle. apparently he wasn't racing or speeding or anything, he was bringing the car up to the speed limit and hit the water.

IMO (with the information provided above only) that accident would come down to lack of observation of road conditions by the driver and possibly lack of under standing of potential hazards.

No practice on a skid pan would pull you out of that one.

Observing the road ahead and adjusting driving for those conditions would.

Its a speed limit, not the speed you MUST travel at.

All issues revolving around driver education on more than just how to turn the car on, check mirrors, know where to park, and what different signs mean.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
"Its a speed limit, not the speed you MUST travel at."

Truer words were never spoken Koontz...that sign saying 100 or 110 means that is as fast as you can go...not as fast as you MUST be travelling at.
Of course, in good dry conditions, we have all sworn under our breath at some doofus in front of us on the highway doing 80, but in the rain it is whatever speed you feel confidant and safe at...being overconfidant in bad driving conditions is just tempting Fate and Lady Luck to look sharply in your direction and do something interesting to you to knock you down a peg or two... :yeah:
I've been travelling at 80 to 90 maximum out on the highway in fairly heavy rain with the wipers on full speed, and some nitwit will blast past at Warp 9, and as I watch him disappear into the distance in a cloud of mist, I casually wonder if the driver has ever had a car aquaplane on him? At highway speeds, when you get that feeling when the steering goes all floaty and you can feel the car begin to gracefully drift off line, Your bum will pucker so much you'll almost suck the seat cover up your arse until the vehicle is back under control, I can assure you! :eek:hmy:

These are things that yes, no driving school can really prepare you for...unfortunately you just have to find out for yourself usually. I was lucky when I got my licence in that I was working on a farm at the time, with long distances of smooth wide dirt roads all over the surrounding district, so all
of us soon had quite a lot of experience getting the tail out and learning how to correct a slide and most of us became quite good at it with repeated practice. :whistling

T

trucker

damo15 said:
why dont they instead of banning high proformance cars from us younger pppl. they should provide places like drag stirps and that sort of things 4 us to get 2gether with friends and hav fun. some ppl want 2 do there cars up and now gonna hav 2 wait coz of these, not all ppl wanna go street racing and so on. sum ppl like me hav a goal that they wanna reach like i do which is 2 get my car in street commodores (one day) and they just wanna cruise, but there are sum ppl that wreck stuff 4 everyone. if they ban these sort of cars i garantee u that ppl will find a loop hole and there cars will still put out f**kloads at the rear wheels anywayz it any one wants 2 comment on my rambling crap feel free 2

cheers damo :flame:
Well I don't know about up there mate, but here in Sydney there is such a place W.S.I.D and for $45.00 you can burn all the rubber you want and drive at what ever speed you can get your car upto down the 1/4. But the illegal street draging continues.
My 2c worth.