Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why is the VL a cult car

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
The VL 6 is said to now be a cult car , especially for young men who cant wait to spend a fortune increasing the already adequate power.

the combination of an overpowered car with an inexperienced driver is worrying

obviously VLs are cheap but there must be other appealing things such as the shape, size, rear seat headroom and ease of visibility for the driver

the next commodore, the VN is quite unwanted

the RB 30 engine is smooth and powerful but the nissan skyline with the same engine isnt popular.

The demand fot the VL makes it top of the list for being stolen, helped by the fact that almost any VL commodore key will open and start any VL. The cause seems to be wear in the lock cylinders over the years

a security system is essential

any ideas why the VL is so popular, perhaps it looks strong and healthy, all later commodores look pregnant and sick to me

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Best looking commy. Shape and style. VL V8's are not cult cars. It is only because of the nissan rb30 motor. Easy and cheap to turbo charge and respond very well to modifications. Not only that but you can buy a VL turbo with highflowed t3, 3 inch exhaust for $5000 and it will kill a lot of cars including all stock and a lot of modded V8s. Thats another reason they are so popular. Because they are so cheap, and parts are so cheap. Every now and again 9-10 second VL's pop up for sale and they only usually go for $15-20 grand.

The nissan r31 (rb30 motor) is not a popular car because they did NOT come out with a factory turbo, which means that if you turbo charge it you have to get it engineered. Not only that but Holden is Australian... Just driving the VL makes you proud to be Australian... The VL is one of the best cars Holden have produced.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
First of all, I don't see then as a cult car. They have a strong following, but cult cars i would say are like the VL Walky, VK brocks etc.

Also, you don't have to engineer putting a turbo on a non turbo car, since they come with them from factory.
As you don't have to engineer changing from a VN V6 to a VN V8, as the car came with that motor from factory, this is assuming you already have a brake upgrade (4 wheel disc brakes on the VL)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
VL's are popular (your version of a cult car) as is any Holden when it reaches it's use by date - somewhere around the 20 year old mark. They become cheap as the main stream population driving cars upgrade well before they become junk. The transistion is a slow process but it happens to all models and the more they make the longer the model lasts. Youngsters buy them (VL's) as they are an affordable car, easy to fix and do a good job. Go the VL..:thumbsup:

They will be saying the same about the VT one day as they made over 300,000 of the buggers. Sheer weight of numbers makes then seem to last for ever. And the big thing to do to them in 10 years time will be to fix the sagy bum rear ends. (whats your VT got - Oh it's an override double action air lift auto ride leveling system with triple action oversize soft springs PLUS the biggest adjustable camber kit you can buy)

Who said VN's are not wanted.:eek: Am I the only one collecting VN's:supersad:

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Sad as it is go read say Street Commodores or SMC and you wont find barely any VN-VP really in there, im my opinion the VL in general is probably one of the most popular cars to come from here and just about everyone likes the ol VL, hell when I was 17 all i wanted was a VL calais.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sad as it is go read say Street Commodores or SMC and you wont find barely any VN-VP really in there, im my opinion the VL in general is probably one of the most popular cars to come from here and just about everyone likes the ol VL, hell when I was 17 all i wanted was a VL calais.

Ho no - I dont have a cult car in the old :bow:VN

Life sucks some times.

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
they are light, good power, cheap to buy, relatively cheap to mod, good shape/nice look, pretty comfortable, easy to drive, reliable ( apart from the head corrosion problems ), parts are plentyfull......

they have quite alot going for them, i've had two over the years, one NA 6 and one V8and would like another.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL's are popular (your version of a cult car) as is any Holden when it reaches it's use by date - somewhere around the 20 year old mark.

They will be saying the same about the VT one day as they made over 300,000 of the buggers. Sheer weight of numbers makes then seem to last for ever. And the big thing to do to them in 10 years time will be to fix the sagy bum rear ends. (whats your VT got - Oh it's an override double action air lift auto ride leveling system with triple action oversize soft springs PLUS the biggest adjustable camber kit you can buy)
If that is so why are vk's and vns not popular??? The vl turbo is australias most highly moddified commodore

VT's will never be popular... ugly ugly ugly junk cars... unless its the v8 vt your talking about what will still never be popular due to being a v8.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo = cult car no doubt. Standard white VL = nope not a cult car at all.

The VN just needs to age a bit more:). - runs and hides in corner to dodge all the rotten fruit being chucked:embarrass