Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will 308 roller rockers fit 304 ?

SRH-420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX WAGON
i have a set of 308 roller rockers (yella terra) and was wondering if they will bolt to the injected 304 ? if so what are the pro's cons if any
thanks in advance

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I thought they were different (bolt thread) but tried bolting a set we got off some carby heads onto my VN heads and they fit.

Advantages I guess would be less friction, can handle more rev's, and will give ya more lift if using 1.65:1 rockers.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
They do fit but depending on specific types (there are several) you should pay close attention to alignment of the valve tip as the exacting tolerances of YT outweigh GMH, with the different valve arrangement between carby heads and EFI heads the centring of the valves are slightly different.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
They do fit but depending on specific types (there are several) you should pay close attention to alignment of the valve tip as the exacting tolerances of YT outweigh GMH, with the different valve arrangement between carby heads and EFI heads the centring of the valves are slightly different.

But as long as the valve tip is in full contact with the roller it shouldn't be a problem hey? I never checked mine heaps close....but I'm 99% sure they were all ok. Will double check when I assemble the heads.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Near enough was good enough for Capt. Cook in 1770, why change now lol.
But yeah you are right, if the roller is centred on the valve then yeah no prob, maybe a little off with the shaft mount rockers, not sure how close is good enough tho. they will still work but your wear rates will increase alot with high lift and heavy springs.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you want the tip of the roller rocker to be slightly outward of the tip of the valve. the reason being, as the rocker depresses the valve, the tip will roll off the center and inwards. at full lift the tip of the roller must be in the center of the valve stem.

you can check by smearing a small amount of bearing blue on the roller tip and depressing the valve (crank the engine by hand) whats left should be nice coverage of bearing blue on the valve tip. if its too close to the inside edge you can fix it by either shimming up the rocker or getting different sized pushrods, but its pretty important to get them spot on or there will be too much side loading on the valve and itll wear out your k-lines.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
you want the tip of the roller rocker to be slightly outward of the tip of the valve. the reason being, as the rocker depresses the valve, the tip will roll off the center and inwards. at full lift the tip of the roller must be in the center of the valve stem.

ari666 you are correct.
Just to clarify I mean centred across the axis of the roller tip, not centred in the actuating plane, if that makes sense.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Well I chucked me donk together just then and put the roller rockers back on for a look (these are yella terra's btw)...and yeah, here's a pic.

Took them back off and decided to stay with the stock rockers lol. :thumbsup:

DSCF2888640x480.jpg

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
FYI there are two pairs for the old carby heads, two front and two back, if you swap them around does it get any better?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I doubt the tips would roll the way you have them pictured and I could only imagine the side loading on the valve guide... especially to the one pictured on the left.