Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a Toyota stereo fit my vy ute

Lushpuppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Hi guys,I'm new to this forum.i have been given a GPS stereo out of a 2012 Toyota landcruiser and I'm wondering if I can easily install it in my 2004 vy ute??.if I can any ideas as to what wiring harnesses ill need,where I can get them and how hard it will be?.thanks for your help in advance

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
some model info would be required to know unit you are talking about.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If you had all the right wiring and gps antenna probably. Tonne of work involved and when powered up it will still be a Toyota headunit if you could live with that.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
In theory, it probably would, but you'd need to make your own wiring harness - I can't imagine there being such thing as a VY -> Toyota wiring harness. Furthermore the HU may need to connect to the car's CANBUS system (which your VY doesn't have) in order to function properly. Really...given that a decent headunit is about $2 - 300 (even if it doesn't have GPS, etc), its not worth the effort.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Wiring is very very simple , **** I could make a harness in 5 minutes that will plug it straight in , the Toyota head unit is 20mm wider than the hole in your dash.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wiring is very very simple , **** I could make a harness in 5 minutes that will plug it straight in , the Toyota head unit is 20mm wider than the hole in your dash.

Forgot about the size difference. Have only installed dozens of them :p Won't fit at all. Back is standard double din but the front panel is wider.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
I mean it will fit in the hole but as for looks , yeah well ....

Being a 2012 cruiser it will be even bigger than the standard VY deck anyway I think , there is a few variants though.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I mean it will fit in the hole but as for looks , yeah well ....

Being a 2012 cruiser it will be even bigger than the standard VY deck anyway I think , there is a few variants though.

All of the ones I have done when you rip the toyota head unit out you need to install 2 plastic bits either side or you have a gap.