Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will a vz hbd steering wheel fit on a vy?

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Hi all,
Just picked up a brand new in box vz hbd steering wheel for a fairly cheap price on ebay.
now the guy said it was a vy wheel but looking at the box it says it is a vz wheel and is very similar to my friends vz calais wheel.
was just wondering if the vz wheel will fit on the vy with no issues?
i've done a few searches first and found a few people saying vz on vy is fine and that the problems arise with fitting a vy wheel on a vz, with no one ever really following up on how they went fitting a vz wheel to a vy.
so if you have any info or experience with the matter your help would be much appreciated.
thanks, Phill

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
I brought a vy wheel for my vz and it didn't fit. The backs were different.

Take a photo of the back of both and I'll tell u if it will fit

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Yea from what ive read to fit a vy wheel to a vz the wheel needs to be filed on the back about 3-5mm, just wondering if the vz wheel onto vy needs modifying or not

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
I put a 2005 VZ wheel on my 2003 VY Monaro. Bolted straight on. Only thing I had to change were the radio buttons as they were a different connector. Def didn't need to file anything back. The thing that took the longest was carefully taking out the wiring for the buttons and threading the VY buttons into the VZ wheel. But all up the whole job was no more than 15 minutes.

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
I put a 2005 VZ wheel on my 2003 VY Monaro. Bolted straight on. Only thing I had to change were the radio buttons as they were a different connector. Def didn't need to file anything back. The thing that took the longest was carefully taking out the wiring for the buttons and threading the VY buttons into the VZ wheel. But all up the whole job was no more than 15 minutes.

Okay cool thanks for that, ill give it a go this arvo and will post results.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Just make sure you dont move the clock spring. If you do, read up on how to reset it.

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Just make sure you dont move the clock spring. If you do, read up on how to reset it.

yeah i made sure i didnt move anything i didnt need to.

well the vz wheel went on with no worries, had the wheel locked when removing the bolt to make it easier and forgot so when i put it on again and lined it up it was off by a fair bit, so another 15 min and took it off and repositioned it and it was perfect

thanks for the help :beer chug:

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Cheers. Good work.

Did you need to use the VY Radio buttons?

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Cheers. Good work.

Did you need to use the VY Radio buttons?

The one i got didnt come with buttons so i just swapped them over from my old wheel, not too sure if the vy and vz radio controls are the same or not.
was going to leave them off completely as my headunit is aftermarket and doesnt connect but there would have been a massive gap between the airbag and wheel

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
VZ WILL fit VY. BUT VY WON'T FIT VZ WITHOUT MODIFYING THE BACK OF THE HUB. THIS INVOLVES A BIT OF FILING