Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will extractors and cats cause L98 to throw a code

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
Hey all, I have a ve ssv which I believe Is a L98 6.0L motor. I got a lukey 2.5" catback exhaust in stainless.. And am now looking at using a set of PH5377 tri-Y pace'y extractors (ceramic coated) and high flow cats ( in 2.5" ).

Will this cause the computer to continually throw codes??

I have a Vz sv6 with a full exhaust (been dyno'd) and it throws check powertrain code all the time on all 4 sensors...

Just won't do headers if it'll end up like the Vz...

Any of U guys have any problems...

Cheers

huthy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Mate I'm pretty sure once a full exhaust goes on u have to get it tuned and they fix all that so It doesn't happen.

If u had ur vz done did u get it tuned or just dyno run?

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah got headers Cats and full tune at castle hill exhaust.. I already had 2.5" catback..

I paid $2200 and wasn't real happy with it...

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
the code relates to the O2 sensors (both position and exhaust temp)as you have mentioned. If you installed 100 or 200 cpi cats the exhaust gas temps change which can cause the system to throw a code. Also if the paceys position the cats further back from the factory position causing the O2 sensors to be in a different position this too can cause the system to throw a code.

All this can be rectified by a tuner. They will simply turn off the range parameters so it wont check for it.

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh will be looking at KPM for a tune in Adelade.

These headers for ve are meant to bolt up to original cats position.. Think it's the 4 into 1's that need the sensor extension..

So by the sounds if it going back to a tuner will fix it on Vz?

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also add (not sure if it matters) but it throws the code when coasting or when foots off accelerator.. And some times clears itself, others gets done at Holden

Cheers brad

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
yep take the VZ to your tuner and get him to turn off the sensor code. If you get the try Y's the cat will be in the same position as factory. What might throw a code though is hi-flow cats. This is becuase the gases do not heat up as quickly as say 400cpi ones. So the sensor may not be happy. Some have been able to install hi-flow cats and not have an issue (even without a tune). I think it depends somewhat on the brand.

If you get an Oztrack tune (mail order or remote tune) Steve will have this issue fixed in the tune so not further problems. :)

Cheers
Phil

deano77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60-th Anniversary
I did mine at KMP Adelaide... 3" full system, OTR and TUNE, no code issue...

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
That's because in when they do the tune they set it so it wont throw a code..