Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 will i need adjustable rocker arms ?

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
who cares about the heads there worth nothing and this is just a minor build not to last 5000 years and ari why would it ping running and tuning to 98octane fuel and i asked the engine man and he said people have done it all the time and had no probs

80 thou?? wow, so you really dont want any squish up there huh? anything to chase the CR...well, have fun pinging.

He means Quench, its a techincal thing, by shaving down the heads your reducing your chamber and creating bigger quench or squish area, which is bad for combustion

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^^^ or these?NEW HOLDEN V8 308 REBUILD KIT PISTONS RINGS & BEARINGS - eBay V8 Engines, Engines, Components, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 07-Feb-10 22:05:14 AEDST)

will these increase comp?Holden 308 ACL Piston Set incl rings and pins 1969-1991 - eBay V8 Engines, Engines, Components, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 03-Feb-10 16:35:08 AEDST)

What CR are you looking for? How many RPM do you intend to spin the motor? The flat tops will most likely increase your compression but that depends on what you have in there now.

Reaper

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
What CR are you looking for? How many RPM do you intend to spin the motor? The flat tops will most likely increase your compression but that depends on what you have in there now.

Reaper

i need to make 10:1 but i dont even know what my motor has in it now i think it might have flat tops in it becuase its got a cam and heads and standard inlet but goes really hard as i keep up with gen3s i think im gonna have to take the heads off and have a looky

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
look... its pretty simple. replacing pistons will pretty much mean (if you wanna do it properley) that your crank will need balancing, new conrod pins, conrods crack tested, bored/honed block, zero decked (to get 10:1), etc etc etc

the BEST thing to do, and i am gonna say it one more time, even though it sounds like im harping on, you should just GET A BABY CAM FOR A MILD BUILD ENGINE AND CONCENTRATE ON A BIGGER CAM WHEN YOU BUILD YOUR 383. no need to dick around with flat tops or shaing heads and chasing compression. you can use your stock manifold and stock converter and stock diff and you will still get between 150 and 160 rwkw with the right setup.

otherwise you are building an engine twice.

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
look... its pretty simple. replacing pistons will pretty much mean (if you wanna do it properley) that your crank will need balancing, new conrod pins, conrods crack tested, bored/honed block, zero decked (to get 10:1), etc etc etc

the BEST thing to do, and i am gonna say it one more time, even though it sounds like im harping on, you should just GET A BABY CAM FOR A MILD BUILD ENGINE AND CONCENTRATE ON A BIGGER CAM WHEN YOU BUILD YOUR 383. no need to dick around with flat tops or shaing heads and chasing compression. you can use your stock manifold and stock converter and stock diff and you will still get between 150 and 160 rwkw with the right setup.

otherwise you are building an engine twice.

yep agreed talked to another engine builder today i told him the situation of what the other builder said he replyed no comment so i got ****ed over and made me look like a wanker so the guy said with that cam and 25 thou shave they run fairly good so im doing that no ****n around but will i need shims with that shave? or will i get away with it?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah you should shim it. but another mod you will be uber happy with is adjustable roller rockers, hence no need for shims and they really 'free-up' your engine. and plus you can take them off and use them on the 383 later.

25 thou sounds good, i think its safe to go about 40 in those heads cos' the cc is pretty big anyway thatll leave you a bit of squish. but 40 might mean a manifold machine too so cost would be getting up there. so yeah i changed my mind just now, stick to 25.

good to see you are back to looking at realistic mods ;)

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
yeah you should shim it. but another mod you will be uber happy with is adjustable roller rockers, hence no need for shims and they really 'free-up' your engine. and plus you can take them off and use them on the 383 later.

25 thou sounds good, i think its safe to go about 40 in those heads cos' the cc is pretty big anyway thatll leave you a bit of squish. but 40 might mean a manifold machine too so cost would be getting up there. so yeah i changed my mind just now, stick to 25.

good to see you are back to looking at realistic mods ;)

yeh so id only need one set of shims yeh?