Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will it void my warranty?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I'm going through the same thought process at the moment seeing as my car still has a good amount of warranty left. Thus why I'm leaning towards Walkinshaw stuff... You do pay more for it, but you have a bit of piece of mind should something go wrong.

All that being said, you can get caught up with claims regardless IE: Holden don't want to cover it & put it back to Walkinshaw where Walkinshaw blame Holden & you get stuck in the middle... I haven't personally heard this happen, but I know places like MRT putting people in this position as they supposedly honor your factory warranty when you purchase parts / mods from them.

In my past experiences with other car brands, dealers don't necessarily follow the warranty book to the tee. So if you have suspension upgrades & your motor goes wrong, there is never an argument. BUT, if you complain about rattles, then they are going to tell you to go away.

My general strategy is to do modifications through certified (Can't think of a better word to describe) arms such as Walkinshaw or TMR (For Mitsubishi) where they have a relationship. OR, do modifications that are unlikely to cause any real argument with major components, such as cat back exhausts, suspension / bracing, etc. You are still opening yourself up to potential problems, but that are exactly that... None of us expect to drop a engine or tranny unless there is real reason for the fault. If there were any major issues with the VE, I have no doubts you'll find it on this site & they may sway your modifications tactics.

In regards to exhaust notes... It's all personal opinion. Personally, the Walkinshaw 3 inch cat back sounds really nice in the flesh. Nice deep note with no drone (Based on a E1 Senator). Not overly loud to attract unwanted attention, but loud enough to make a statement & to get a nice V8 note. My only advice is to only use videos / You Tube as a guide. Unless the recording is uber high quality, it's hard to really give a true indication of what it sounds like.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Dealers will try anything to void a warranty. Years ago I had an LJ Torana to which I fitted new Holden ball joints which failed during the warranty period, the rubber boots split open.
To cut a long story short they tried to void the warranty when it happened again because the car was an S model and I had the front wheel allignment set as per XU1 specs and it even had an XU1 crossmember with the extra holes for the upper arms. What they said was using those settings put the ball joint boots through extra load as the angles were awkward and caused the rubber boot failure even though all the parts are exactly the same. Anyway in the end they didn't win but it's just an example of the BS they will go to. My advice is if you want to change anything and they agree to it for warranty purpose make sure it is in writing on letterhead and signed by the service manager.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
i thought under the the trade practise act as long as you can prove your veichle was serviced by a registered/ acknologed mechanic the warranty must apply.. basically your ford dealer can service your car and gmh must honour your warranty claim

He didn't say it wasn't??

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
Will the exhaust still sound half decent when it switches down to 4 cylinders becsuse the engine comes with the AFM in it. I know u can disable it. But that would be kinda a waste of it. But i think I should do some research

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
No.. no larger exhaust will sound decent when AFM will kick in.. A few companies advertise that theirs is the exception to the rule.. But I'm not convinced.. In my eyes for an exhaust to sound good when AFM kicks in it would have to be Bi-Modal.

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
The afm only really kicks in while on a certain speed for a period of time right? As soon as you try to accelerate more it will go back to 8 cyl? Or am I missing somthing about this?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I'm very interested to get more info on exhausts & AFM.

I've heard that they sound poor, but as it only kicks in when cruising I'm not overly worried... What I am worried about is the potential drone I may cause.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Think of it this way.. When it kicks back to 4 cylinders you're potentially halving(estimate) the exhaust gas being produced.. So those gases aren't going to flow smoothly through the exhaust.. They are gonna bounce around like a kid on a sugar high from one end of the exhaust to the other..

That's drone..

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
if you mod your SS, you remove the AFM, WTF would you want to mod your car and drive around on 4 fuggen cyliders.
I had the heads off on my ute to remove all AFM ****, cant just "turn it off"
Dont mod your car if its the grocery money. You nead to self insure your car.

Man TFU Girls