Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Aussie flags on any car is a bit tacky but if people want to show their pride they aren't hurting anyone so who cares.

With the demise of locally built rwd performance cars I think we need to embrace the newcomers such as the Stinger. It may be a Kia but it's helping to keep the performance car industry alive in Australia.

Quite right , me's thinks it badge snobbery , and tiny bit of sour grapes .
just saying is all .

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
VVT is a waste of time on single cam pushrod engine, this is done correctly when each camshaft inlet/exhuast advancing and retarding independantly of each other not like some tacky aftermarket kit.

I think the total opposite. It will extend the happy zone of the engine and make bigger cams more drivable. It will be one of the biggest changes for aftermarket performance on or beloved ls engines. It looks only moderately expensive to implement.

Same was said about fuel injection replacing carbs back in the 80’s. That fuel injection crap will never be better than my big Holley.

As for the other Aussie flag issue the whole Australia Day concept means lots of different things to lots of different peoples and pretty offensive to our aboriginal brothers and sisters. Perhaps we should just move the date say to 1st feb or some other random day so there is still good weather to drink beer.

If someone wants to put an Aussie flag on a jag well fantastic. We should embrace diversity not be frightened of it.

All we need is when we let people from the sub-continent emigrate is to give them some lessons on using deodorant properly. JK.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I think the total opposite. It will extend the happy zone of the engine and make bigger cams more drivable. It will be one of the biggest changes for aftermarket performance on or beloved ls engines. It looks only moderately expensive to implement.

Same was said about fuel injection replacing carbs back in the 80’s. That fuel injection crap will never be better than my big Holley.

As for the other Aussie flag issue the whole Australia Day concept means lots of different things to lots of different peoples and pretty offensive to our aboriginal brothers and sisters. Perhaps we should just move the date say to 1st feb or some other random day so there is still good weather to drink beer.

If someone wants to put an Aussie flag on a jag well fantastic. We should embrace diversity not be frightened of it.

All we need is when we let people from the sub-continent emigrate is to give them some lessons on using deodorant properly. JK.

Does anyone in Australia actually know when the correct date is ?? , I’m just curious

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
VVT is a waste of time on single cam pushrod engine, this is done correctly when each camshaft inlet/exhuast advancing and retarding independantly of each other not like some tacky aftermarket kit.
Not wrong, money better spent on a high stall converter (if you have an auto), or heres a tip, dont over cam your car.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

ECU controlled continuously variable valve timing makes a huge difference to economy, powerband and torque delivery. Basically you can program it in the tune. The most prevalent cam phasing systems like Honda’s VTEC, Toyota’s VVT and BMW’s variable nockenwellensteuerung (VANOS) are single cam phasers. Even on twin cam systems it is typically single cam phasing on the intake, for good reason - 85% of positive effects of varying combustion timing are weighted to the intake valve close event, versus the other three events or lift.
As for the other three, V6 SIDI went from twin cam single phaser to dual cam phasers as did BMW, had next to zero impact. Good article here and here.
From an LS / SBC viewpoint, a pure performance cam to make highest peak horsepower on a dyno needs only one spec, a carburettor, a distributor, and pump fuel. That whole equation and big block super power was nailed in the sixties. However extreme tunes were good for nothing except to wind up on a dyno for a six second pull to hit the high number.
The major difference with modern engines versus 30, 40, even 50 (100?) years ago is not in employing existing mechanical devices like four valve pentroof, big valve, OHC, fuel injection, direct ignition, or direct injection. Just take a day’s wander through our national motorcycle museum (Otto’s first) to see brilliant human and ‘technology’ innovations that come and go.
Our hotrod epoch is defined by the ECU, offering not just faster and more precise system control but the ability to run an engine in operating cycles not previously possible, variants outside Otto like Budack (VW), Atkinson (Prius), SkyActive (Mazda), Miller (LT4), to name a few.
See VVT for GenIV in the Technical Section for facts, experience and topical discussion how it improves our single cam in block V8.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Not wrong, money better spent on a high stall converter (if you have an auto), or heres a tip, dont over cam your car.
What, high stall convertor to take the kids to school or pull up the bottleshop drive through? To sit / crawl in city traffic? To cruise your favourite maintain pass?
Seems lots of people here are multi millionaires driving Commodores, goodo, but saving $100 a week on petrol makes me smile. Similarly my car passes five gas test for Euro 5, all because the ECU controls the valve events. Those two points make VVT a smart move.
That’s not to say with VVT and clever tune you win’t get the same result as biggest cam over a 1/4, but of course the Fastest Camaro list has more VVT cars than not. Perhaps it’s because you don’t need to sacrifice 30%-50% of your engine operating range because you’ve built a V8 CO2 spluttering behemoth that’s totally useless in the low range.
You two @monty_vfssv and @shaness8 contribute comparatively little in terms of the technical post count, next to zero likes on your posts, and frankly annoying behaviour appears nothing more than Coz Turbo trolls, way off topic with the VVT.
Leave the thread alone thanks, start your own threads and enlighten the forum with basic coz turbo high-stall old-school, half-baked assertions but that kiddies talk posted in any of my threads is not welcome.

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
What, high stall convertor to take the kids to school or pull up the bottleshop five through? To sit / crawl in city traffic? To cruise your favourite maintain pass? To get the same result over a 1/4 without sacrificing 20%-30% of your engine operating range?
You two @monty_vfssv and @shaness8 appear to be nothing more than Coz Turbo trolls, way off topic with the VVT. Go away thanks, start your own threads because any more wild, half-baked assertions posted in my thread are not welcome.
VVT definitely has its place like you have just pointed out. It all comes down to what you use your car for really.. if having a bit of extra torque below 2000rpm does it for you then yes maybe consider VVT.. cant say i have any problem with torque in that area, after all its a 6.2L engine! And if im wanting to hall arse im well above 4500rpm anyway. And fuel efficiency? I didn't consider that when i bought a v8, but i can still average 8.4L/100km on an open road so i have no complaints there. Money better spent else where is all im saying. I still dont understand your beef with boost?? Im guessing you got spanked by a 2L turbo and need to come up with why your NA engine is better or something..

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
What, high stall convertor to take the kids to school or pull up the bottleshop five through? To sit / crawl in city traffic? To cruise your favourite maintain pass? To get the same result over a 1/4 without sacrificing 20%-30% of your engine operating range?
You two @monty_vfssv and @shaness8 appear to be nothing more than Coz Turbo trolls, way off topic with the VVT. Go away thanks, start your own threads because any more wild, half-baked assertions posted in my thread are not welcome.[/Q

Now we don't need Hi stall's, same results with VVT over the 1/4 mate you can't be serious.

gtsfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 GTS
I had previously made a comment about driving a Commodore , being Australia day and not really caring whether a Kia would flog an SS or not.
The conversation then de-generated into some unnecessary debate about Aussie flags and stuff ....and got a bit personal to boot !
Monstar come up with some fine facts and figures which I find interesting.
But at the end of the day....isn't it just about power to weight ratio ?
Put 3 fat ladies and a bucket of KFC in the ' Stinker ' and see how she goes then........
My point ? My mate Kev (good Aussie Bloke ) across the road has an '71 XY GT and does not give a rats about who or what can hose him off.
Driving his XY or his '32 Hotrod makes him cool.....

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
Leave the thread alone thanks, start your own threads and enlighten the forum with basic coz turbo high-stall old-school, half-baked assertions but that kiddies talk posted in any of my threads is not welcome.

Hmmm, they are not your threads as you don’t own the forum.

If you don’t like comments that don’t agree with yours then don’t start or post in threads.

Shouting others down as kiddies only reinforces you as a closed minded opinionated poster which in many fields where all discussion is valued shows you as unwilling to listen or learn or see worth and therefore devalues your own arguments.

Sticking to your theories without insults projects intelligence, hurling abuse against alternative views whether you’re right or wrong indicates the insecurity of your own muses.