Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Most buyers lap up the schpiel that a turbo is more efficient than a V8 and has new technology that makes it just as good.
I agree with (most of) the rest of what you said, but I've just snipped this little bit because ... I think most buyers still think turbo = thirsty, except for teeny-tiny cars. I just asked the young lady across the desk from me here with no vehicular interest at all, her impression is that unless you're talking stuff like a 1.2L engine, a turbo car is a thirsty car.
She doesn't know a Stinger from an office-block, so that question went nowhere ... but I think most buyers looking at a 3.3L turbo car aren't expecting to get decent fuel economy.

On VF being just a facelift on VE ... while this is true, a lot of the stuff that makes you feel good in a car was missing from VE vs VF. I couldn't have stomached dropping $55k on a VE, because the interior looks & feels like it's out of an 80's Corolla; the clicky-clacky action of the minor controls isn't unlike my 1979 Volvo! And the NVH difference is very noticeable. If you know a VF is just a facelift, then yeah, but judging them without that foreknowledge the VF does seem those 7 years newer.

Off on another tangent, back to fuel usage ... what I keep seeing, and even from enthusiasts, is that Commodore was overweight. Yeah, I guess at ~1800kg that's pretty correct. Except the brand new generation of bloody expensive mid-large sized cars from other manufacturers have dropped in the last year or two, and they're all just as heavy despite all the high-tech materials & bonding etc thrown at them (eg. the brand new M5 isn't quite as roomy as a Commodore - and weighs more).
In fact, Jaguar's new E-Face gerlytruk (baby non-gender-binary sibling of the Pee-Face), which is only the size of a CX5, weighs as much as a Commodore FFS!!

They had a great opportunity to add some good fruit out of the catalog, like; adaptive cruise, autonomous braking etc... Even my Chrysler had heated/cooled drink holders etc... these things would’ve made it a better proposition.
OMFG I hate drink-holders in a car!
If anyone brings anything more sticky & staining than water near my car ... well, that's why I always hire hookers to take to any test-drive, because I need to measure the boot-space for how many dead hookers can fit; if a dead hooker fits, then so does someone who tried to bring a Coke, juice or Red Bull into my car ...

But I digress ... do we know that Holden didn't start down the path of adaptive cruise? It seems odd they have all the sensors (the anti-tail-ender alert) & actuators but didn't put the software in between them. Without any knowledge at all about what went on, it seems to me that all the incorrect alerts & warnings you get are an indication that maybe they didn't spend much time on trying to get active cruise working because the sensors (or the gubbins interpreting the sensors) they had to work with are rubbish ... ?

Last edited:

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
OMFG I hate drink-holders in a car! If anyone brings anything more sticky & staining than water near my car ... well said:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Do we know that Holden didn't start down the path of adaptive cruise? It seems odd they have all the sensors (the anti-tail-ender alert) & actuators but didn't put the software in between them. Without any knowledge at all about what went on, it seems to me that all the incorrect alerts & warnings you get are an indication that maybe they didn't spend much time on trying to get active cruise working because the sensors (or the gubbins interpreting the sensors) they had to work with are rubbish ... ?

No, adaptive cruise was not on the cards for VF1 or VF2 and then when closure was announced, engineering budget for VF was reduced so who knows. GM's adaptive cruise uses a radar not the sensors you mention. But the sensors you mention along with cameras work with AEB (autonomous emergency braking) and from memory I remember AEB being mentioned but no development due to closure.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
They had a great opportunity to add some good fruit out of the catalog, like; adaptive cruise, autonomous braking etc... Even my Chrysler had heated/cooled drink holders etc... these things would’ve made it a better proposition.

Every **** now apparently needs to stay super hydrated 24/7... so you see people carrying bottles of water around as if they are about to cross sahara desert. Heated/cooled cup holders are perfect example of lazy, egocentric socital demands that some think are worth something....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Heated/cooled cup holders are perfect example of lazy, egocentric socital demands that some think are worth something....
I agree ... but then, I don't always know the extra widgets that are nowhere near necessary & yet which I'll get used-to & miss when they're gone.
HUD is one of them, thought it was a total wank but having used it for a bit on the VF I've actually considered fitting one of those fugly aftermarket units on my 70's car where it'd stick-out like a sore thumb. :)
CarPlay / Android Auto are similar; I always thought they were pretty pointless, 'til I (a) owned a car with inbuilt SatNav, and (b) that had been specifically designed so you couldn't just update it with the latest maps downloaded from NavTeq or whoever.

Martyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
The choices are limited. I want;
* 4 doors
* Bigger than Mid size
* RWD
* 270ish kw of power

I owned an FGII XR6T and sold it because the gadgetry was 10 years old
I owned an VFII 6.2L SS and sold it because it gave me a 3 month licence suspension ;) (not really the reason... I also wanted to upgrade)
I want a redline / director, but slightly used and demo pricing is at $58,000+ / $68,000 respectively
A brand new Stinger is a touch over $60,000

The Redline sounds awesome and handles better.
The Director sounds awesome, handles better and would have MRC / drive modes.
The Stinger GT has a form of adaptive suspension, plus a bucket load of other cool stuff (360º cam, android auto, jizztastic infotainment (relatively), cooled seats (FU GM))

It would also be an entirely new experience.
And I wouldn't have to deal with Holden dealerships, who I have found to be absolute pricks in this area.

I think the market for 6.2L Commodore is really strong and that's making the decision hard. Take $5k off those prices and I'm probably buying one.

My friend has a Jeep Trailhawk with cooled seats... TBH, I want that. Cool balls is a great feeling in summer!!! spewing that GM dropped it in AU.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Every **** now apparently needs to stay super hydrated 24/7... so you see people carrying bottles of water around as if they are about to cross sahara desert. Heated/cooled cup holders are perfect example of lazy, egocentric socital demands that some think are worth something....
yea and they pay $5 a bottle and its imported from china
i would not wash my car with it less alone drink it

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I agree ... but then, I don't always know the extra widgets that are nowhere near necessary & yet which I'll get used-to & miss when they're gone.
HUD is one of them, thought it was a total wank but having used it for a bit on the VF I've actually considered fitting one of those fugly aftermarket units on my 70's car where it'd stick-out like a sore thumb. :)
CarPlay / Android Auto are similar; I always thought they were pretty pointless, 'til I (a) owned a car with inbuilt SatNav, and (b) that had been specifically designed so you couldn't just update it with the latest maps downloaded from NavTeq or whoever.
I actually hate HUD. Keep it off most of the time

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
I actually hate HUD. Keep it off most of the time
oh you poor fella...too many toys.

I effing love my active cabin noise cancellation, multi-stage pushbutton ride height, heated/cooled seats, lane assist, adaptive cruise, 2000w 20-speaker stereo...

Keeps me comfortable when those around me bitch.