Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Less dough?? Didn't he just change intake and spark plugs?
Yeah custom intake, plugs and tune makes 300 rwkw on a DynoJet at 18 psi:
Take a look at the hours spent fabricating that custom intake, brilliant but the fab and assembly is at least $800 worth.
The plugs are HKS 50003-M45XL, which sourced locally are $138 ea plus $15 postage (x6 of course) say $850. You can source from overseas to save ~30%.
Then there is the custom jailbreak and tune that’s just not available without ECU swap, to one of a few dozen experts like this. No biggie, but expect to pay $200 r&r, $500+ for the revised OS (assuming AU compatibility), plus special postage and handling $250. Say $1300+ buys the tune with an interface dongle for (remote) tuning via licenced PC software.
That’s $3000 for a remote tune, experimental raised boost, some custom bits and some instructions, and you’re on your own pushing the engineering limits of a Korean V6.
Compared to headers, GTS mid, OTR, and a warranted engine and trans tune for less than half that with a GenIV V8 (370-385 kw).
The main point is these results from the coal face of aftermarket R&D are now to a comparable standard of measuring and correcting engine output.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
18psi won’t last long on stock internals

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
18psi won’t last long on stock internals
I would tend to agree given the n/a origins of the engine; although we're starting to see cars pushing that sort of boost stock (I think that's how AMG gets 280kW out of 2L in the A45, and I think the 2.3L Ecoboosts in the Focus & Mustang are pushing close to that).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
really, a $70k Motorsport should have had HID lights, chromatic rear vision mirror, radar cruise, cooled seats, visor curtesy lamps, etc... they were available but Holden chose to be cheap and not use such available kit.
You should of purchased a Director. Only the Radar and cooled seats missing. Actually the VF was going to receive a radar for adaptive cruise control but the front had to be modified and they were too far advances in the model to change the front grill to allow for the radar.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You should of purchased a Director. Only the Radar and cooled seats missing. Actually the VF was going to receive a radar for adaptive cruise control but the front had to be modified and they were too far advances in the model to change the front grill to allow for the radar.
The Director has HID?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The Director has HID?
Oppps! Bugger. I upgraded my globes myself but not to HID as they are illegal. Not many GM cars had HID. The Caprice did. The Equinox LTZ does. The Commodore VXR does and probably a few Cadillac's do.

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
I would tend to agree given the n/a origins of the engine; although we're starting to see cars pushing that sort of boost stock (I think that's how AMG gets 280kW out of 2L in the A45, and I think the 2.3L Ecoboosts in the Focus & Mustang are pushing close to that).
AMG a45 runs 1.8 bar or 26psi, AMG v8s run 1.5 or 22 psi in fact most modern performance direct injection turbo cars will run more than 18psi.
If tuned correctly the engine will probably last just fine .
The factory boost and power levels seem very conservative , probably due to the gearbox limitations.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
AMG a45 runs 1.8 bar or 26psi, AMG v8s run 1.5 or 22 psi in fact most modern performance direct injection turbo cars will run more than 18psi.
If tuned correctly the engine will probably last just fine .
The factory boost and power levels seem very conservative , probably due to the gearbox limitations.
Most direct injection turbo cars are not engineered to run more than 1.2 Bar, that would be a high-pressure high-performance engine, right?
Also to clarify (for others even if you already know), it's not the tune that defines performance ceiling but the setup (engineering) of the components. Tuning is dynamic calibration of those components.
Engineering which underpins the MB178 Biturbo is largely why you pay 1/4 Million dollar for a car fitted with this engine, derived from latest Formula One, essentially two A45 engines put together.
Was the Korean V6 engineered for 1.2 Bar? How long will it last with 1.5 Bar? That's rhetoric, no need to guess as the story is unfolding, time will tell soon enough.

Last edited:

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385

AMG engines are hand built and you're paying big money for an AMG (or similar German equivalent). Is that really comparable?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
23psi for the Focus, apparently (the above discussion prompted my checking).
I was about to say the engine may be a bit of a special deal, being in an RS-badged car; but then the one in a base-model Mustang puts out the same power so it's probably a pretty production-liney engine.