Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Most direct injection turbo cars are not engineered to run more than 1.2 Bar, that would be a high-pressure high-performance engine, right?
Also to clarify (for others even if you already know), it's not the tune that defines performance ceiling but the setup (engineering) of the components. Tuning is dynamic calibration of those components.
Engineering which underpins the MB178 Biturbo is largely why you pay 1/4 Million dollar for a car fitted with this engine, derived from latest Formula One, essentially two A45 engines put together.
Was the Korean V6 engineered for 1.2 Bar? How long will it last with 1.5 Bar? That's rhetoric, no need to guess as the story is unfolding, time will tell soon enough.
Ok, Ford Fiesta st 21 psi on overboost, Focus st is the same, Golf R similar boost , basically any "hot" hatch thingy that's around 80-100 kw per litre is up there.
Boost doesn't kill engines detonation does .
Modern turbo compressor design is efficient at those boost levels, combined with good intercooling and safe (fat) AFRs there is no reason ( unless rods are made of cheese) the engine wont last

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I have wondered this too as I watch them also
Also seeing cars with headers , rotofab and a Illinois? Flash Tune with auto trans run 12.5 quarter miles on street tires
Are Aussie ls3’s Doing these times?

I follow a couple of tuners on youtube, in the last week I have seen 2 Chevy SS's on the rollers, totally stock. One made 370 and the other 380rwhp which seems to be a lot more than we get from our VF's as well as other better goodies from the GM parts bins so we got screwed twice really.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Ok, Ford Fiesta st 21 psi on overboost, Focus st is the same, Golf R similar boost , basically any "hot" hatch thingy that's around 80-100 kw per litre is up there.
Boost doesn't kill engines detonation does .
Modern turbo compressor design is efficient at those boost levels, combined with good intercooling and safe (fat) AFRs there is no reason ( unless rods are made of cheese) the engine wont last
Yeah quite a bit more to it alongside that, having seen is not more powerful stock, or with bolt-ons and performance tune, I’m just going to wait and see next if the engineering is up to sustained output of a cammed GenIV.
Right now it isn’t, and costs a shed load more.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You should of purchased a Director. Only the Radar and cooled seats missing. Actually the VF was going to receive a radar for adaptive cruise control but the front had to be modified and they were too far advances in the model to change the front grill to allow for the radar.
Would have liked a Director but they were sold out and the dealers laughed whenever I asked about them, condescending pigs really.

Oddly the Directors were then resurrected and available at much higher price. Later again, only after the doggie condescending dealers realised they couldn’t get silly money, and it looked like they would be stuck with them, did the price reach reason. By that time i’d already taken delivery of my MSE.

In any case the Director is still missing desirable bits from GMs parts bin because of Holden’s cheap attitude.

And there was absolutely no reason that the MSE should have also missed out on Calais features considering it was also sold at a circa $70k...

It was just stingy behaviour from Holden. Shoulda coulda woulda... are just fanboy excuses...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oppps! Bugger. I upgraded my globes myself but not to HID as they are illegal. Not many GM cars had HID. The Caprice did. The Equinox LTZ does. The Commodore VXR does and probably a few Cadillac's do.
the Chevy SS also has HIDs though no headlight washers were required in the USA.

A mate has a European car with standard HIDs that sold down under without headlight washers.

If we actually don’t actually need headlight washers with HIDs, this makes the lack of this kit in the commodore Director and MSE even more annoying...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
LHD headlight <> RHD headlight; would be a very small production run for RHD, for a special edition.
Probably SFA extra cost per car if they’d just made all MY15+’s HID across the range or for V8’s or for Calais & SSV or similar.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
LHD headlight <> RHD headlight; would be a very small production run for RHD, for a special edition.
Probably SFA extra cost per car if they’d just made all MY15+’s HID across the range or for V8’s or for Calais & SSV or similar.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've heard some European models had a leaver that could set LHD or RHD per headlight depending where in Europe one was driving.

So, the difference between LHD and RHD HIDs should be just the shading piece that is internal to the headlight. It should be simple to change Chevy SS headlight to work on our side of the road if the manufacturers didn't glue everything together (as Apple loves to do with its shiny stuff)...

Guess it's more an issue of Holden CBF rather than any cost issue which would be trivial.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The cost for one thing might be trivial, but start adding everything & it all adds up ... they probably decided people would prefer heated seats to HID lights, for example.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The cost for one thing might be trivial, but start adding everything & it all adds up ... they probably decided people would prefer heated seats to HID lights, for example.
Yeah that may be the case in the cost focused bottom of the range but the MSE, Director & Magnum where ‘the’ top tier commodore ar $70k and deserved more than thinner paint, some naff stickers and a couple of different rate bushes (however I do love the magnetic ride suspension)...

And if I had choice of seeing better or a warm bottom, the former wins every day of the week over the later.

It could have been so much better but Holden prioritised margin over providing the best for the last of the commodores to our detriment.

Even using the dealers as agents for these limited edition models (which is not unheard off with some brands) would have avoided the dealer rotting and bullsh!t $5k+ dealer delivery charges that some were stuck with. Sadly on this front customers came last again...

Me, I won’t make excuses for Holden as it was penny pinching to the extream.