Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will my license be recognized in NSW?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I'm heading back to NSW early next year to visit family, and I'm just wondering if my WA drivers license (I'm fully licensed here) would be recognized over there as I know p platers in NSW have to wait much longer to get their open license.

I've just got off my p's here in WA (2 years all up) and I've got a WA license that says I'm fully licensed and non probationary and a completely clean record with no infringements. I just don't want to get there after organizing a hire car and find out that I'm subject to all the backwards laws over there.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
From a quick little research i done you abide by the licence restrictions for the state of issue, so being an open licence driver then thats the licence you have in all states

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks. I think I'll phone the government entity in NSW that handles licensing just to confirm anyway.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
you follow your own states licence.

ive personally contacted NSW RTA and the NSW Police (just over the border,so would get a lot of vic drivers) about it and they both have said whatever you states licence is, is what you go by.
unless your a Learner, then its 80kph for you due to it not being a licence condition but an actual road rule/law.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. So even though I only just got a open license and having my license for 2 years, I would still be considered a fully licensed driver in NSW because that's what I hold in WA?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you have a full license, then you will have a full license in all States and Territories.
I think, if you plan to live in another State, you have 3 months to change it to the State you are living in.

I was even allowed to drive in Malaysia on a full Victorian license.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

There is a difference between moving interstate to reside, and just visiting.

Interstate driver's licenses are permissible within NSW for drivers who are "just visiting" or touring the state. The only conditions are that the driver complies with those NSW road rules that apply for a fully licensed driver, not a provisional driver, even though the OP has only been driving for a couple of years. The fact that he has a "full" license in WA means that he can drive as a non-provisional driver here.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
In the very first paragraph on the page: "You can use your existing licence for up to three months, but after that you must have a NSW licence."

Common sense would suggest that this would apply to visitors as well as those who have moved there permanently.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
In the very first paragraph on the page: "You can use your existing licence for up to three months, but after that you must have a NSW licence."

Common sense would suggest that this would apply to visitors as well as those who have moved there permanently.

I don't want to state the obvious but the title quite clearly states "moving to" not "visiting"
and also has about proof of residency for changing over the licence.
I don't know about you, but if I was to visit someone and stay for a while, my residence address is still my home address :thumbsup: