Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will not start

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
My VS will not start. I haven't driven it for a week, and it was probably a week and a half before that it was driven last. The starter motor will turn over, but there is no spark.

Recently, it did just shut down after driving 100 metres down the road, and someone suggested the immobiliser may be playing up.

I'm only getting code 12 from the computer. I don't know how to check if there is any fuel going in or if there is any spark, it looks harder than what it was to do on a VH.

Anyone got any ideas or had the same problem??

nado69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
i think code 12 means everything is ok?
try pressing the unlock button on your key a few times as well.
if your radio n what not isnt working, check the battery n see if its earthing.

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
everything electrical seems ok. The starter motor is turning over, but it just won't start.

goldvnaero

HOLDENS RULE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
could be a the coil pack.or the module.or comp,or crank angle sensor

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If the starter motor is working, your fault is either going to be - no spark or no fuel. Dont assume that there is no spark, could be lots of spark, just no fuel to ignite.

Ok. Simple test for fuel pump. Can you hear the fuel pump priming before you turn the key to crank it? If not, the problem will be your fuel pump or something in the fuel system.

If the fuel pump is priming, chances are fuel is getting where it needs to, but you dont have spark to ignite it. The crank angle sensor will give you this problem, but it will usually play up a bit before it goes.

I wouldnt think it would be your immobiliser. If your key plays up, and the car doesnt get a signal from the key, it will just sit there when you try to start her. It wont even get the starter motor going. You should get an error code too.

If you are still stuck, get a manual and take a look at checking for spark from the spark plugs. You can also check if the injectors to see if they are receiving a signal, if you have a little test light. If you dont get spark or signal at the injectors, get the crank angle sensor replaced.

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
ok, i checked for the noise of the primer, and heard nothing, so the fuel pump isn't working. I found that it was getting 12 volts at the wires which connects up to the fuel pump at the tank. I have the Gregory's manual and explains how to change it over.
Would this be a hard job to do, and would i need to get new parts or is there any chance that anything could be repaired??

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Fuel pump is a bitch of a job. I did mine recently. It doesn't require any special tool, but it does take patients. Before you do think about it though, replace your fuel filter. If it is blocked, it will cause your pump to 'stall'. You might be lucky, and the fuel pump might start working after you put the new filter in. If you do need to replace the pump.....

Cant remember exactly what i paid. A rough guess, I think I might have paid $180 or something like that for the pump from repco. Holden were a lot more $ and didn't have any in stock. Repco carried heaps and were cheaper, so I went with one of them.

This is what you can do though, it worked for me. Get under the fuel tank and give a few really hard whacks to the bottom of the fuel tank in the middle. This is roughly where the fuel pump sits. Then try and start your car. It should start, if not give it a few more whacks. If it does start, you can drive it to your mechanic and get him to do it. I have no idea what they would charge you, but would save you a bit of grief.

If you think you can do it yourself, or are short on the cash.

Read the manual, do a search on here, there are a few guys that have done it before that gave some handy hints when they did theirs.

You will need to drain the fuel tank for starters. It was a Saturday morning when mine stopped working, the mechanics were closed and I really needed my car for the Monday so I decided I would do it myself. So first off I needed to drain my almost full fuel tank. My old man offered me some of his old drums - which once contained oil etc, but i didnt want any dirt/other contaminants getting back into the tank, so I went and purchased 2x 20L fuel drums, for about $22 each.

I also bought a new garden hose to syphon the fuel. The manual says you shouldnt syphon with your mouth, but you really cant get it out unless you have a pump capable of doing it for you. I syponed by mouth and drank a bit of fuel, but ended up getting most of it. I reakon after the job was done though, I had lost about 10 litres, say a $10 loss.

Getting the pump out can be a bit tricky, but it is possible. I ended up mucking around for the whole weekend on it. Fault started Saturday morning and I got it completed just on dark on Sunday night.

After all of that, I could replace the fuel pump alot quicker now, maybe in a morning, and I could probably do it without loosing any fuel. I would definatly be taking the mechanic option though, if you have got the cash. They can probably do it in an hour or two, and would have the pump to quickly and easily drain the tank. It probably ended up costing me the same as if I went and paid a mechanic to do it, but at the end of the day I do have a few extra bits and pieces in my shed.

Let me know if you are doing it and I will offer my assistance.

Good luck