Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will our machines be saved from the electric wave ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I think I posted back near the start of this thread about zeroEV in the UK that scan the cars being converted and design cross members etc that utilise only factory mounting point and structural bolt locations in the chassis, in order to create a bolt on EV conversion for a car requiring no cutting.

Well here’s something here in Australia along similar lines.
The story also features an Electric VT Commodore:
'Back to the future': Classic car lovers are converting their beloved autos to EVs

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...g-classic-cars-to-electric-vehicles/100533104

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I think I posted back near the start of this thread about zeroEV in the UK that scan the cars being converted and design cross members etc that utilise only factory mounting point and structural bolt locations in the chassis, in order to create a bolt on EV conversion for a car requiring no cutting.

'Back to the future': Classic car lovers are converting their beloved autos to EVs

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...g-classic-cars-to-electric-vehicles/100533104
Would be good if you could convert existing cars for around $10k. I’d do it with the SV6 if that was the case. The only problem being the pesky computers that need to be reprogrammed to not chuck a hissy fit that the ICE has been ripped out!

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

I've seen one of the electric LR Defenders being built here in Melbourne.

I don't see petrol completely disappearing, and if it becomes a weekend toy thing, then the total emissions will be tiny and probably not chased. Even Paris, the most restricted low emissions zone area, allows old cars in.

I can't help feeling that by converting your classic car (not a VT Commy, sorry), it loses its soul.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If petrol production stopped, and another liquid fuel was not available, I would rather a older car converted to EV than buying a Tesla or some new other EV

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If petrol production stopped, and another liquid fuel was not available, I would rather a older car converted to EV than buying a Tesla or some new other EV
Brew your own ethanol....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Brew your own ethanol....
D3067CF6-239A-4063-9DC8-3797509B1CDC.jpeg

A very posh thing to do.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Yeah but why does the article completely misrepresent the truth?

A VT commodore 1st Holden EV, I think not… Real sloppy reporting or they just didn’t care about the EV Calais built in Melbourne and fully complied with all aussie ADR’s…, here’s the RVD for it.

Also a read here https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ev-commodore-2012-quick-spin-31435/

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Would be good if you could convert existing cars for around $10k. I’d do it with the SV6 if that was the case. The only problem being the pesky computers that need to be reprogrammed to not chuck a hissy fit that the ICE has been ripped out!

The ECU only controls the ICE, without the ICE, the ECU is redundant. (In a VT).

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The ECU only controls the ICE, without the ICE, the ECU is redundant. (In a VT).
Problem is that at startup, during system boot so to say, other vehicle modules talk to each other. If one is missing and doesn't respond as expected, the outcome may not be good and nothing may work....

These days thre are a lot of platform features that are spread across the various contol units so it's a nightmare to mod. The new the car, the more integrated the modules and the more complex to mod :( People have been caught out trying to get the cluster to play nice with the transplanted engine and it's ECU, and that's ICE for ICE :(

That's why dumb cars are the easiest to convert to EV, you just have to worry about not blowing te headlights with the higer volts of the driveline :p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Dash cluster, combo switch, power windows, stereo, airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners. All these things either need the computer system to function or will chuck a hissy fit if they aren’t connected to other parts of the computer system and I’m sure there are other items that I haven’t thought of.

Converting a modern car to and EV would be a very difficult (expensive) exercise.