Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will rb30et motor fit into a vy

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
I have seen pages in street commdores and zoom advertising kits for ecotecs to go into vls, and buick motor to go into eh's etc. my question is.

will a vl rb30et, go into my vy. since they can go backwards can they go forwards. forget about electrical issues for the moment. what would i need I.e cross member etc. will my v6 lsd vy diff handle the power (yes i think since they have similar power figures).

just thought rather than go through all the bull**** of turbocharging a brittly motor, why not go with the original power machine, get it in get it working, matt it up to a motec so i can retain the original dash, and everything else. then after a while go a rb25 head conversion and a manual later on.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
You'd probably need a K-frame, you'd probably have to think about engine mounts and the like, will the gearbox bolt up, things like that. From what I can gather it'd be like doing an Ecotec conversion into an older Commodore, but the other way around. (instead of sticking Ecotec gear into an old girl, you'd be sticking Nissan gear into the VY, but it'd be pretty much the same otherwise)

Also, is it legal? If this is intended for road use, you'll have to look into that, IIRC you cannot legally run an engine thats older than the car for it to be street legal.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Also, is it legal? If this is intended for road use, you'll have to look into that, IIRC you cannot legally run an engine thats older than the car for it to be street legal.

ah tooshay, something that i did not thing through even after 3 years of thinking about it. will look into tomorrow. i think that would come down to a emissions thing more than anything else, but definetly a good point.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
did someone say torana concept TT alloytech ?

do it :)

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
did someone say torana concept TT alloytech ?

do it :)

i see you are doing a similar mod to your vn, have you found out if you can legally put the older motor into the newer car?

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
Lukes is legal because you can swap anything from VL-VS series 2 back and forth. Also the VL-VS shave the same K frame mounts so you can swap a VL K frame into a VN-VS. I don't think the VT-VZ share the same K frame design. All in all it's a bit of trouble on a VY

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Lukes is legal because you can swap anything from VL-VS series 2 back and forth. Also the VL-VS shave the same K frame mounts so you can swap a VL K frame into a VN-VS. I don't think the VT-VZ share the same K frame design. All in all it's a bit of trouble on a VY

the vs has the same ecotec engine mounts as the vy ecotec. are you sure the vs is not the same

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
It's got the same mounts, but it doesn't have the same k frame

you gotta swap the k frame in the vn-vs to a VL k frame, which has different engine mounts..

there's no rule about 'older motor newer car' - but there is a rule that any replacement engine must meet the same or more stringent emissions ADR's - VL conforms to adr37/00 - as does vn, vp and vr.

I was under the impression that VS was under stricted emissions adr's, hence the change to the squeakotech, however I have a table somewhere that specs when they were all introduced, which I'll find when I have a moment.

So in short summary - your conversion won't be legal 'out of the box' - you could get it emissions tested etc, but in reality seeing as you'd ahve to custom make mounts etc already, it'd be less EPA hassles (emissions testing etc) and more fun to mount a 2JZ, which should be legal with engineers - due to conforming to same ADR's as your car... (double check that!!) :) (providing you don't mod it) - and it would be just as different :)

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Why not throw in the new GTR engine?

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
I think the new emmissions law started when the 5 litre changed in the series 3 VS utes and statesmans and the first VT's all the other VS's are the same original unleaded ADR from the VL days. I agree Toyota 2JZ for the win :)

Last edited: