Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a series 2 engine fit into a 2008 VE V6 Berlina? engine replacement options..

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I have 2008 VE Berlina that has had the timing chain let go, after getting quotes to
replace the timing chain I feel like it would be cheaper to swap the whole engine out.

I would be getting this done by a mechanic because I have zero mechanical knowledge.

I would like to avoid putting the same series engine into the care for obvious reasons
regarding the timing chain.

What are my options?

Can I just drop a series 2 V6 in no probs?

If not what are my options?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
You would need a full engine with loom, ecu, tcm, transmission, maybe the accessories too, exhaust, because a series 2 v6 would be a SIDI one, so it might end up much more expensive than just getting the chain fixed. As a matter of facts, you'd rather godown the V8 conversion route, it would be as complicated as a SIDI conversion.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Wouldnt be cheap though ^^

What do you mean by chains let go? Did they break?

On a budget, If engine swap, your better off going with another engine the same as yours so its a straight engine swap no messing around with loom, ecu etc. Just get the chains and that done before installing.

If engine light is telling you its the chains, then it be cheaper to get the chains done. Just dont get it done at Holden. Ring around local mechanics that have done the job before..

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Yeah they broke :(

Yeah i juat dont want the same issue in the future.
Ive been quoted 3.5k to fix, figured engine swap would be cheaper :-/

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I've seen people reporting having it done for 1300, maybe you should keep looking. The kit is about 800 I reckon, and there's around 10 hours of work I think so anything above 2K is a joke, unless mechanics are starting to charge more than developers, ahah.

3.5K is way too steep just for the chains, but it's definitely not enough for a swap.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
From a quick bit of searching, seems the Alloytec is an interferance engine, so you'll want to make sure you haven't smashed a valve before you go down the route of replacing the chain.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Ok thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Ive started calling around to different mechanics but noone is commiting to a price and just say the will get back to me. Im trying to find someone thats done this a few times.

I know F all about cars tbh so im just trying to not get ripped off.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Ive started calling around to different mechanics but noone is commiting to a price and just say the will get back to me.

They probably don't want the job. It's not something you can quote on until you commit to ~10 hours of labour to disassemble and remove the heads. The engine is probably borked.

Honestly for a 2008 base model it's a matter of whether the car is worth it. It probably needs an engine swap and you'll need to find something to suit (it's probably going to be an LY7 I'd imagine).

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Ah yeah, my bad, I missed the part about the broken chains. Then yeah, an engine (same model) swap is probably the best route if you want to keep the car.
How long did you drive with the engine light / rattle noise before they broke?