Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will VF commodores (non V8 models) go up or down in price next year?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Actually, depending on the odometer reading, prices for the SV6 are in fact going back up, from a low $22,900 asking in September 2019 for a vehicle with 41,500 on the clock (Slipstream Blue) to $35,990 same colour with 41,929 on the clock listed in June 2021. Heron White is a colour that holds its value. Last July an SV6 in Heron White was advertised for $36,990. The car was sold by August for whatever was negotiated.

actually, we are not talking about going into covid pricing we are talking about the next few years which will see the prices drop.

the reasons for the the past/current price rise has four compounding factors...
1: holden closing
2: covid tax
3: semiconductor shortage
4: dealers/sellers being "dairy farmers" to maximize profits

once all of those factors are no longer relevant the prices will drop again.

going forward the sv6/evoke will not hold the "value" that the "dreamers" think it will, the v8 variants will hold it a bit more with the hsv and special editions like director/motorsport holding the best value.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
actually, we are not talking about going into covid pricing we are talking about the next few years which will see the prices drop.

the reasons for the the past/current price rise has four compounding factors...
1: holden closing
2: covid tax
3: semiconductor shortage
4: dealers/sellers being "dairy farmers" to maximize profits

once all of those factors are no longer relevant the prices will drop again.

going forward the sv6/evoke will not hold the "value" that the "dreamers" think it will, the v8 variants will hold it a bit more with the hsv and special editions like director/motorsport holding the best value.
Great info Stooge

BAitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6
Neglected to mention the year model in my first post Those I referred to are MY17, being the only model year that interests me that were quickly extracted from my stats. The SV6 MY17 for my purposes ticks all the boxes. It came with satnav, HUD, and other items that are an extra in previous years, although I haven't yet tried the automatic reverse parking after almost four years of ownership. Being retired (attended the new Holden on display at R A Jackes in Armidale in December 1948) the MY17 ticks most boxes, especially with it being able to run on E10, with a fuel economy first class for its size and carrying capacity on the open road, and not that bad around town. As for the Redline and all those other V8s, these are included in my stats with a number of these still advertised for ridiculous prices. A few have been listed for sale for over two years with only slight changes in the asking price.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Neglected to mention the year model in my first post Those I referred to are MY17, being the only model year that interests me that were quickly extracted from my stats. The SV6 MY17 for my purposes ticks all the boxes. It came with satnav, HUD, and other items that are an extra in previous years, although I haven't yet tried the automatic reverse parking after almost four years of ownership. Being retired (attended the new Holden on display at R A Jackes in Armidale in December 1948) the MY17 ticks most boxes, especially with it being able to run on E10, with a fuel economy first class for its size and carrying capacity on the open road, and not that bad around town. As for the Redline and all those other V8s, these are included in my stats with a number of these still advertised for ridiculous prices. A few have been listed for sale for over two years with only slight changes in the asking price.
The MY16 Black Edition has the extras you speak of (satnav, HUD)...these features then continued to be standard into MY17.

BAitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6
The MY16 Black Edition has the extras you speak of (satnav, HUD)...these features then continued to be standard into MY17.
Your Black Edition was a special and at a price - the normal SV6 did not come with the extras, until January 2017 when all SV6s came with the previously unavailable extras.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Your Black Edition was a special and at a price - the normal SV6 did not come with the extras, until January 2017 when all SV6s came with the previously unavailable extras.
Not necessarily added cost ...our Black Edition even came with 5yr factory wtty and 3yr free servicing (Holden end of financial year 2016 incentive offer). Even then in the second half of 2016 I thought they continued to build all SV6s as BE’s??...because Holden couldn’t meet demand at the end of June, ours was actually built in Aug 2016 even tho it is a BE. Id be interested to know if anyone has bought an SV6 built in the second half of 2016 that wasn’t a BE (as I’m not sure).

MY17 didn’t start until into 2017 of course.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
While this is true, if you were looking on the used market it shouldn’t affect you; nobody thinks the BE is anything special over a stocker 2017, the BE should be about the same price on the used market if it’s got the same km’s and in the same condition.

The BE also had a lower RRP than the 2017, come to think of it. Not super relevant to the discussion, just thought it was a factoid that might be of interest. :)

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
While this is true, if you were looking on the used market it shouldn’t affect you; nobody thinks the BE is anything special over a stocker 2017, the BE should be about the same price on the used market if it’s got the same km’s and in the same condition.

The BE also had a lower RRP than the 2017, come to think of it. Not super relevant to the discussion, just thought it was a factoid that might be of interest. :)
All the MY17 had a price increase. Even the Employee price for Redline went up $2,000 for MY17.

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SV6 Sportwagon Slipstream Blue Black Ed.

When i was looking for our Wagon recently i looked at both the 2017 and 2016 BE, the reason i got the BE only was because of the Red Stitching in the Interior...i liked it better than the White :)

A Standard SV6 prior to 2017 was not good value for money in the 2nd hand market in my mind...the prices were too similar to the Black and 2017 versions without the extras.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

SS Black ed. which i have was $1000 extra compared to base SS. It got sat nav, hud, some red stitching and floor mats inside. Outside it was basically black instead of chrome and some badges...nothing special. Wheels were standard ss with black accents. 20" baretta were an option for $1000. In a sense this was a classic badge special.

This was not a bad thing as the demand for them was not great. Most people were buying redlines.

Because of that i paid only $46 000 for mine brand new when redlines were going for $55 000 - 60 000. Retail for Black ed from memory was $55 000 or so.

I could not justify the cost at the time so i settled for non redline.

In saying that I then spent 5k on brembo brakes and HF20 wheels and probably another 2k on various redline interior bits and pieces (instrument cluster, steering wheel, dash and door trim inserts, leather console lid, alloy pedals etc).