Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will vs market go up

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
The value of any car in the future is determined by three factors. Age, rarity and condition. You can only control the third factor.[/QUOTE
I wouldn’t think many members would own cars with a view of making money.
Personally, sometimes I think I’ll sell my VF clubsport as I don’t think it will ever be worth more than I paid and it’s not going to appreciate in value from where it is today. Too many made. I take it for a drive and remember why I keep it. Then I add up the receipts from my VS ute and think, **** should I have spent that better but take it for a drive and get more of a kick out of driving it than the Clubby.
If you want to make money buy property or shares.
For the most part money is not spent on cars for investment, just to enjoy.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I go past there a few times every week and can't believe the prices on the cars there. There must be some people out there prepared to pay some stupid money.
I paid $75 for a VF Valiant that was running and had rego back in the late 80's. Used it for a daily driver and pub crawler. Didn't even bother locking the doors back then.

It’s amazing how cheap the classics were in the 80s and 90s. I wish I would have bought a heap of them for next to nothing and sat on them until now and sold them. I could have retired by now! My cousin used to own a GTR XU1 Torana back in the 90s that he only paid 8 grand for! He would have made a pretty penny out of it now if he would have kept it! The cheapest one on Carsales atm is 59 grand!

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
It’s amazing how cheap the classics were in the 80s and 90s. I wish I would have bought a heap of them for next to nothing and sat on them until now and sold them. I could have retired by now! My cousin used to own a GTR XU1 Torana back in the 90s that he only paid 8 grand for! He would have made a pretty penny out of it now if he would have kept it! The cheapest one on Carsales atm is 59 grand!
Wouldn’t we all like to have had a crystal ball. Loads of desirable cars for cheap in the 90’s. My first car was an XA GS 4 speed with factory GT running gear. $1800
2nd car HQ 4 door GTS Monaro $2400
The list goes on. Didn’t make a $$ on any....

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wouldn’t we all like to have had a crystal ball. Loads of desirable cars for cheap in the 90’s. My first car was an XA GS 4 speed with factory GT running gear. $1800

As they say, you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. I think a lot of it comes down to the styling of the vehicles from back in that era. Most cars now have a lot more power than most cars from the 80s and 90s but the cars from that era were very distinctive unlike today where if you took the badges off the cars you would struggle to tell them apart from each other.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
A few years ago I went and visited a person who had the foresight to buy cars for very little money years ago that are worth a lot now. He had about 50 cars in a big shed and apparently more cars stashed elsewhere. He had a number of 70's and 80's cars including early Monaros and Fords. He even had a Brock Lada. I'm not sure that would be worth all that much even now. The total value of what he had on display must have been in the millions.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Sorry, but a little of topic,
I had a 1977 LX 4.2 4 Speed [M20] SL Torana in Mandarin Red, Purchased it for $5,500 in 1979 with 40,000 k/s on it,
In the time I had it, I killed it a few times,
Repaired Gear Box a few times, replaced the clutch as few times, replaced the Diff from a single spinner to a LSD,
And after doing all that, and realizing I am blowing money away.
I put a set of extractors on it and got a beautiful note out of it, not loud, just a nice deep V8 note, and ended up selling it for $4,600 with 90,000 k/s on it.

Only if I had a crystal ball, you can guess the rest.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, but a little of topic,
I had a 1977 LX 4.2 4 Speed [M20] SL Torana in Mandarin Red, Purchased it for $5,500 in 1979 with 40,000 k/s on it,
In the time I had it, I killed it a few times,
Repaired Gear Box a few times, replaced the clutch as few times, replaced the Diff from a single spinner to a LSD,
And after doing all that, and realizing I am blowing money away.
I put a set of extractors on it and got a beautiful note out of it, not loud, just a nice deep V8 note, and ended up selling it for $4,600 with 90,000 k/s on it.

Only if I had a crystal ball, you can guess the rest.

Sounds very much like my cousins experience with his GTR XU1! He was always spending money fixing stuff on it that broke, mostly because he got up it for the rent at every opportunity!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
So we should all start stashing VE's into the black hole for ron ?

I don't think so..................

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I go past there a few times every week and can't believe the prices on the cars there. There must be some people out there prepared to pay some stupid money.
I paid $75 for a VF Valiant that was running and had rego back in the late 80's. Used it for a daily driver and pub crawler. Didn't even bother locking the doors back then.

I know of an XAGT 4 door that he had a few years back, that he was asking $20,000 or there abouts.....Non matching numbers motor....Non runner.....He paid about $7,000......A mate bought it, but before he bought it, he did some researching about the car and was able to knock this leech down to $9,000 for it....So he didn't get too much extra with that one :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I figure his asking prices are just that and 9 times out of 10 they never fetch that to finalise a sale.